Author Topic: Dark vehicle sill pinch weld blackout  (Read 3124 times)

Offline 6R07K

Dark vehicle sill pinch weld blackout
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »
G'day All

Seem to recall it being mentioned but missed it when searching, did dark colored cars still have the sill pinch weld blackout done?

Specifically a SJ early May 66 that is Ivy Green.

Cheers

Ben
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Dark vehicle sill pinch weld blackout
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »
Seemed to be a common belief that dark color cars did not get pinch-weld blackout, but we've seen way too many dark green, dark blue cars that still have it.  My opinion is that pretty much any color except for black would have had blackout.  Of course, there are surely some exceptions.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:47:02 AM »
My Nightmist Blue 66 had it!
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
There was a engineering directive to not paint the pinch weld with dark colors however overwhelming evidence suggest that it happen sometimes. I use the rational that a whole string of lighter color cars comes down the line and then one dark color . If the line worker was in the zone he might not even think about the color. Unlike other things painting the pinch weld on a dark car is no harm no foul for a line worker. We have seen numerious examples of things that were not done as the instructions directed and this is one of them.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »
When i read the 69 manual it said blackout to be done on all colors but black & it shows to black out convert seat lower body bracing than hangs down lower than pinch weld. Been years since i remember reading that but thought thats the way it read & makes sense.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »
 My Aug 64 Dearborn coupe has no signs of having the pinch weld blacked out.Dark Ivy green metallic.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:25:40 PM »
Believe the consensus is that it may have been blacked out but if we saw it not done none of us would deduct for it in a show/judging situation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:12 AM »
Believe the consensus is that it may have been blacked out but if we saw it not done none of us would deduct for it in a show/judging situation
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 6R07K

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:33:05 AM »
Thanks Guys

Think I'll leave it body color then, looks tidy that way already being a dark color.

Cheers

Ben
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 01:00:53 PM »
For those reading that may not be participating that might not understand the reason for the discussion is that the purpose of the black out on the pinch weld area is to make the wavy jagged pinch weld area LESS noticeable. If you ever have the occasion of comparing a side veiw of a lighter car with the pinch weld blacked out and one that hasn't you will understand the dramatic difference especially on a white car. This is a simple inexpensive something that makes the car look better  ;)