Author Topic: 64 1/2 Indy Pace Car Hood ID  (Read 3231 times)

Offline degins

• CSRP
64 1/2 Indy Pace Car Hood ID
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
I'm new to this forum and concours level restoration. Laurie at VMF advised that I post here concerning my question about the hood on the 64 Indy pace car I recently purchased. The car is basically complete and original and has the correct warranty plate data and radiator support markings. A previous owner had a minor fender bender and replaced the left fender and head light extensions, but I have appropriate date code replacements. My question concerns the hood.

The hood has the rolled over front corners, dimples, and no holes for front trim mount. The date code is ambiguous since it is stamped wrong. It clearly reads 4 34 C2 (translated from the inverse). The schedule date on the warranty plate is 4/23. I would think that this hood was incorrect since I have been led to believe that a pre May 64 car had either the type 1 folded corner hood with no dimples, or the type 2 bevel edged door with dimples, both without trim mount holes. Recently I've seen 2 references (Page 47 ofTom Corcoron's, Muscle Car Color History, and Mustang Monthly http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_0901_1964_indy_pace_car_hardtop/viewall.html) that state that these cars were fitted with the "improved" 65 type hoods. Type 3?

Any clarification would be appreciated. I found a nice type 2 hood. Hopefully the current hood is correct and I can use the type 2 on my June production D code convertible.
Thanks,
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:27:35 PM by degins »
Original family owned C code  SJ 66 coupe
D code 65 Dearborn Convertible
T code 66 Dearborn Convertible
F code 65 Indy Pace Car Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 64 1/2 Indy Pace Car Hood ID
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »
The hood on the pace car coupe should look like the later '65 style (corners tucked under), but will be missing the crash dimples on the bottom structure around the front area underneath.  Keep in mind that this hood was simply used in regular production for the first 1.5-2 months and is not unique to a pace car coupe.

Steve Grant had an article or PDF that explained the differences.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
I agree about the hood with Charles, but when I came across gail wises original owner convertible this summer in chicago, april built car the hood original to the car and correct date codes had dimples and or crush points.  Before seeing this hood never new they existed like this.   So I think they had 4 hoods total in 64-66 I will try and post the picture of the hood

Offline degins

• CSRP
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
I am intrigued by this hood. Am I correct that it should have trim mount holes on the leading edge if it is a later (type 3) hood? This one does not have trim holes, but has dimples and folded corners. I'd like to hear Steve Grant's experience with his Pace car coupe.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »
There shouldn't be any holes for the hood lip molding.

I'll see if I can contact Steve so he can share the info he has.  He kept getting asked about the hood on his concours pace car coupe and ended up doing some research to prove it was correct.

Agree there are 4 style hoods for 64.5-66.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline degins

• CSRP
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:54:03 PM »
Thanks all for the replies.

I mention the pre-punched holes for mounting the front trim since I believe their absence rules out a late 65, a 66, or a replacement part hood. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:17:12 AM by degins »

Offline sdgrant

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
I would expect a 4/23-scheduled build date Mustang (not just Pace Car) should what is described above as a Type 1 hood (rolled corners, no dimples). The two articles statement about being fitted with the "improved" '65 hood was incorrect; the writers apparently saw a Type 1 hood with the rolled corners instead of the highly documented Type 2 hood with the unfinished corners and assumed it was a Type 3 ('65 production) hood. They were written long before my research revealed the existence of a Type 1 hood and the subtle differences between a Type 1 and Type 3.

I would like to see photos of the hoods listed here, both on the Pace Car restoration project and the Gail Wise Chicago convertible. The photos should include shots of the leading underside edge (not just a close up of the dimple), and the date stamp in the underside corner closest to the driver.

I've seen two examples where an owner pried open the rolled corners of a rare Type 1 hood to craft a Type 2 hood for an early car.

On a Pace Car note, be aware that the only differences between a Pace Car coupe and a "regular" Mustang are the paint and decals. Also the PACE CAR radiator support markings, but the other markings would be consistent among all early Mustang.
Steve Grant
MCA Certified Judge, '64½ - '66 class
1964½ Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car coupe

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

• If it does not fit, you need a bigger hammer!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »
I have in my possession a 4 23 C2 unrolled lipped hood. Looking like the cut off from gen 1 to gen 2 is sometime in April?

Brian
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:50:10 PM by 5F09CNot4Sale »
5F09C3031XX Sept 28 64 Dearborn
5F07F1838XX June 29 64 Dearborn

Offline degins

• CSRP
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
...I would like to see photos of the hoods listed here, both on the Pace Car restoration project and the Gail Wise Chicago convertible. The photos should include shots of the leading underside edge (not just a close up of the dimple), and the date stamp in the underside corner closest to the driver.

I've seen two examples where an owner pried open the rolled corners of a rare Type 1 hood to craft a Type 2 hood for an early car.

On a Pace Car note, be aware that the only differences between a Pace Car coupe and a "regular" Mustang are the paint and decals. Also the PACE CAR radiator support markings, but the other markings would be consistent among all early Mustang.

I can't take a clear picture of the hood since the car is wrapped up for the winter, but it is as I said; 4 34 C2 date code clearly stamped in inverse, 4 dimples on the underside of the leading edge, and no holes for trim mount. Am I correct that type 3 and 4 hoods do not have trim  mounting holes punched?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:38:56 PM by degins »