Author Topic: Battery  (Read 2638 times)

Offline 6T6GT

Battery
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »
I have a period correct battery for my 66 Mustang GT. My problem is the red lettering is flaking off from the word Autolite. Any suggestions on how to repaint them and with what type of paint. I guess it started to flake off due to the heat in the engine compartment. Thanks.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Battery
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
Think I answered this on the MCA forum? 

Would recommend getting a few spray cans and mixing up a red that matches.  Red/White/Black and maybe some Brown will get you there.  Can be applied with a regular brush or foam brush.

Not much to it.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »
I used Model Masters Ford Engine Red and it was a perfect match for the red on my Antique Auto Battery repro.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:33:26 AM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:30:14 PM »
I have a period correct battery for my 66 Mustang GT. My problem is the red lettering is flaking off from the word Autolite. Any suggestions on how to repaint them and with what type of paint. I guess it started to flake off due to the heat in the engine compartment. Thanks.
interesting that you talk about the paint on the battery because all of the vintage photos as well as original examples I have and seen that were untouched appear to not have paint on the Autolite.It seems from photos and examples the Autolite doesn't appear to be painted on the batteries until sometime in the 68 model year.Just some observations others may have different.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:01:50 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:50:31 PM »
Here are some other vintage 66 photos they are of  a 22 f  which is most likely what came in your car unless it had A/C but as you can see it doesn't appear to be painted ether.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:55:25 PM »
Here is a easier to see 67 picture.

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 12:35:50 AM »
agree with Bobs comments.

i have attached a image of a nos service example which as bob mentioned is punched with 68,69,70,71 dates.  notice the red paint on the autolite markings on the top.  different compared to the original examples bob posted pictures off.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRLIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589