Author Topic: 65 SJ Parking brake cable routing  (Read 14015 times)

Offline petersixtfive

65 SJ Parking brake cable routing
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
Can someone help with the correct routing of the rear parking brake cables
Car is a June 65 built SJ fastback. The floor pan has a raised recess near the rear frame rails each side
I can only assume this allows the cable to pass between the rear frame rail and the floorpan then onto the rear wheel
Wondering if someone might have a photo of the cable in this general location
The mounting brackets are loops 4 pcs which mount using screws I think 2 might mount to the frame rail and 2 to the floor
Any help to confirm this would be appreciated
Thanks
Peter
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline Brian Conway

Re: 65 SJ Parking brake cable routing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »
The E-Brake cable loop leaving the wishbone goes to a Bracket mounted to the side of the tunnel located at the rear seat footwell.  Leaving that bracket it is an enclosed/jacketed cable and travels across the rear seat platform and is attached with two clamps.  Then onto the rear drum.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »
Though it sounds (from your description) that you have the version that Brian posted there was a different version also used - that's why it helps to also know the VIN or when the car was assembled ;)

The other version had the E brake cables passing through the recess (floor pan formed upward from rear frame rail) in the floor pan in front of the rearend location. No clamps to the floor like the later style shown in the picture above

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
My San Jose May 65 build GT Fastback has the same setup as yours as best as I can see. Juff photoshopped the drive shaft, exhaust and one brake drum out of his pictures for clarity, but they are the same.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
My San Jose May 65 build GT Fastback has the same setup as yours as best as I can see. Jeff photoshopped the drive shaft, exhaust and one brake drum out of his pictures for clarity, but they are the same.

Nothing Photoshopped on my pictures the bottom one was just taken at that point in the restoration of that specific car. If I were to Photoshop anything it would be that brake line that is routed INCORRECTly  to the floor clip :(   Did it after I took those pictures back in the late 80's while the car was still on the rotisserie

For reference the upper picture is from 5R09C1709xx  a June Jan 65 car
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:54:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:09:54 PM »
For reference the upper picture is from 5R09C1709xx  a June 65 car

170xxx sequence for a '65 San Jose car would be January-ish car.

Had a late May '65 Dearborn GT car that had the loops with screws on the bottom of the rear floors and did not route through the holes in the frame rails.  Guess it was a running change late in the year, sounds like at more plants than Dearborn.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:54:32 PM »

Thanks for the correction - not sure what table I was looking at
Jeff Speegle

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »

Had a late May '65 Dearborn GT car that had the loops with screws on the bottom of the rear floors and did not route through the holes in the frame rails.  Guess it was a running change late in the year, sounds like at more plants than Dearborn.

I have 2 loops for each cable total 4 loops, there is 1 screw hole in the floor on each side and 1 hole in the side of the frame rail on each side.
It appears to be a similar configuration to what Charles has posted
I disassembled most of the car with the exception of the rear axle this was left in for transportation to the paint shop they removed the rear axle and placed the body onto a rotisserie
I then picked up the axle assembly and cables as a unit
No idea now which way to put it back together
My configuration doesn't use the dog leg type small brackets onto the frame rail
Vin is 5Ro9A238378   June 65 GT fastback
Any further help appreciated

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »
Here is my 9/65 San Jose car.  Don't know what you mean by the dog leg clamp, and not sure about your frame rail hole either....????

PS  I suspect these clamps were zinc plated even though I phosphated them; haven't been able to get a definitive answer on this  :(

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »
Here is my 9/65 San Jose car.  Don't know what you mean by the dog leg clamp, and not sure about your frame rail hole either....????

PS  I suspect these clamps were zinc plated even though I phosphated them; haven't been able to get a definitive answer on this  :(

The earlier '65 version like that has 4 of the clamps like you have closer to the front of the car.  Keep in mind a '66 style parking brake cable is the 1-piece design and '65 has 2 separate cables.

Here's the picture of a late May '65 Dearborn setup.  This is an A code GT car and a convertible, so not sure if that factors into the configuration type:

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:05:36 PM »
There are several different types of clamps used on 64 thru 66 parking brake cables. In Charles' picture of the 65 the 4 clamps are full 360 deg clamps using a single screw each to attach, and a bracket on each side to hold the cable where it goes over the frame rail with a single screw to attach. Jim's 9/65 car's picture shows 2 half clamps with a single screw to attach, and 2 clamps that have a slot in the loop and use two screws to attach. The single screw clamps are different.
This a "shadowy" area in that no definative documentation exists in either the Mustang Assembly Manuals, the Ford Car Parts book or in the Service Manual. The car photos with plant, year and month reference appear to be the only source to go by.
In answer to the clamp's finish question, on both of my San Jose Oct 65 built cars the screws and brackets were all zinc plated. 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »
I checked my notes and determined that the screw called out on the 64-65 Chassis Assembly Drawing (AM0005 pg14) p/n 39883-S8, 5/18-1/2 hex washer head, thread forming, (Ford Fasteners pg 175) seems to be correct. The most common head markings are: "D"; "RBW" in a tripple circle; and possibly "L". This screw is not used anywhere else on 64-73 Mustangs. For 1966, the screw used was 31497-S8, 14-14X1/2 hex washer head, a common use screw. I'll have to look on my 66 "K" car to determine head markings.
Jim

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 02:44:40 AM »
Attached photos are of the original cables with the loop clips still attached
Also a close up of the floor on one side showing the screw holes and the recessed or raised floor section for the cable to pass through
i think this car is more likely to be configured similar to Charle's car

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »
If you have those extra holes on the rear floor-pan, I would agree it most likely had the 4 clamp setup with the cables not routed through the frame rail.

Offline PraireBronze

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »
While we're on the subject, I'm in need of a pair of these outer e-brake brackets.

I believe there are some wire type retainers that I'm missing too.

Thought these pictures might help somebody.
- Tim -

1965 Prairie Bronze 2+2 (under construction)
Build Oct '64 San Jose
289 4V Automatic Transmission (A-code clone :P )
Black Std Interior
AC, PS, Style Steels, 1" Drop, Konis
Aluminized 2 1/4 Exhaust, Tri-Ys