Author Topic: Power Steering Hoses  (Read 8399 times)

Offline Pete Bush

Power Steering Hoses
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
I picked up a couple of good used original power steering hoses recently 3A714 and 3A717, and I have a number of questions:

1. One of the hoses is marked C3DA 3A714-A instead of C3DZ 3A714-A. I was told that the "A" in the prefix denotes a factory original part, and a "Z" denotes a service replacement. Is this correct?

2. Following the part number on the 3A714 hose is 281 6, and on the 3A717 hose is 028 7. What is the significance of these other numbers?

3. The rubber hose appears to be ribbed with a white stripe down one side and writing down the other 4749A  SAE J191. Supposedly Scott Drake makes "exact reproductions" of these hoses. Do they, or anyone else, duplicate these rubber hose features?

4. Comparing the crimped fittings on either end to pictures of the repops, it appears that they have attempted to duplicate the crimp markings, but the proportion of crimp to smooth fitting looks different than the pair I have.

5. It looks like these part numbers would work for 1965 6 and 8 cylinder cars, and 1966 8 cylinders. But for my 1966 Sprint it looks like each hose is 1/2" longer at 9-1/2" and 10" respectively. Center links look like the same part number for 1965 and 1966 6 cylinders. The power steering cylinder looks the same. And the valve looks like the same part number, too. Why the difference in the hoses then?
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline Pete Bush

Re: Power Steering Hoses
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
In addition to the 1/2" difference in length of the two hoses attached is a picture of the difference in the way the ends bend.
3A714 on the left and 3A717 on the right.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »
You are correct, the 4th digit 'A' denotes a Factory Part, and 4th Digit 'Z' denotes a Service Replacement.

I believe the numbers after the Engineering number, ie. 281 6 and 028 7 are Date Codes, but not absolutely positive. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »
I picked up a couple of good used original power steering hoses recently 3A714 and 3A717, and I have a number of questions:

1. One of the hoses is marked C3DA 3A714-A instead of C3DZ 3A714-A. I was told that the "A" in the prefix denotes a factory original part, and a "Z" denotes a service replacement. Is this correct?

I use to work at a Ford dealer in the parts dept, the C3DA-3A714-A number is the engineering number
which is usually stamped or cast into the part. The C3DZ-3A714-A is the part number used by the dealer
to order the part from Ford and the number they use to sell it. It doesn't mean that it is a "service replacement"
or a different design than the original it's just the number that is used in the retail market.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

• MagMustangs
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:13:33 AM »
Yep, I agree. I should have phrased my answer better.

The 4th digit Z denotes a 'Ford Master Part Number' which will be found on Service Replacement Part Packaging or sometimes stamped on a Service Part itself(usually in Ink). If for some reason you come across a part with an Actual Stamped Number with 4th digit 'Z' then it will be a Service Part, not an Assembly Line Part.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
Yep, I agree. I should have phrased my answer better.

The 4th digit Z denotes a 'Ford Master Part Number' which will be found on Service Replacement Part Packaging or sometimes stamped on a Service Part itself(usually in Ink). If for some reason you come across a part with an Actual Stamped Number with 4th digit 'Z' then it will be a Service Part, not an Assembly Line Part.

I think our definition of "service replacement" part is different. When I worked in the Ford dealer parts
dept we would refer to a service replacement part as one that was different from what was originally
designed for the car like in the case of a service replacement part that was improved due to a design
flaw on assembly line parts. We sold "service parts" over the counter.
The part number that we would use to order and sell the part by which had a Z in the fourth digit was either
on the outside of the box or was on a label or ink stamped/painted on, not cast into it.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

• MagMustangs
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »
I think our definition of "service replacement" part is different. When I worked in the Ford dealer parts
dept we would refer to a service replacement part as one that was different from what was originally
designed for the car like in the case of a service replacement part that was improved due to a design
flaw on assembly line parts. We sold "service parts" over the counter.
The part number that we would use to order and sell the part by which had a Z in the fourth digit was either
on the outside of the box or was on a label or ink stamped/painted on, not cast into it.
Actually, it sounds like we are thinking along the same lines. A 'Service Part' is a part that was sold over the counter at a Ford Dealership, and it is a 'Replacement'. . It was not always a 'New and Improved' Part. I didn't mention service numbers being 'Cast In' I said they were usually on the label or ink stamped on the part itself. Basically anything that is 'NOS' whether redesigned or same as factory design is called a 'Service Part' and the Ford packaging will be labeled 'Ford Service Parts'. Whether you use the term 'Service Replacement Part' or just 'Service Part' they were over the counter Ford Parts, Not Factory Installed.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:53 AM »
Is it "normal" then to see these numbers stamped into the fitting?

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
Is it "normal" then to see these numbers stamped into the fitting?

Generally the engineering numbers were stamped onto the crimp
on the hose, but there is always an exception to the rule.

Some aftermarket (repro) parts copy and stamp the "service part" part number
on the part such as C5ZZ but on a power steering hose Ford would have
used a label with the service part number.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:16:37 AM by C5ZZ »
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
In general, a service part number is an inventory number. It represents a part on a dealer's shelf; it has an associated price; it has a minimum and maximum stocking quantity; it should have a where used list; it is a cross-reference part number; it contains a source part number for re-supply. It's that last part that gets you what you need, not necessarily what you want, Ford maintained service part to keep cars running, not concours correct. The service part number, if it was propperly used, should list all the engineering part numbers it replaces. To further complicate the process, waivers may have been granted by Ford as to part marking (a label vs an indented stamp), tolerances, color, materials, manufacturing procedures (read government mandated "improvements"), packaging, substitutions, etc.
As to the part number itself, I cannot think of any instance where a part is permantly (not inked stamped) marked with a "Z" in the fourth position, (C5ZZ-xxxx-x), and is considered NOS, service or a factory part (or assembly). If you do find a permantly marked part with a "Z" in the fourth position, avoid it if possible. The part is a (poor) reproduction.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline PraireBronze

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
I too worked at a Ford dealership in the parts department...  this was back in the early '80s.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would EVER find a Z in the forth position in a number CAST into a part.  You found the Z on the box or on a sticker on the part, but I don't think it was ever cast into a part.
- Tim -

1965 Prairie Bronze 2+2 (under construction)
Build Oct '64 San Jose
289 4V Automatic Transmission (A-code clone :P )
Black Std Interior
AC, PS, Style Steels, 1" Drop, Konis
Aluminized 2 1/4 Exhaust, Tri-Ys

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
I too worked at a Ford dealership in the parts department...  this was back in the early '80s.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would EVER find a Z in the forth position in a number CAST into a part.  You found the Z on the box or on a sticker on the part, but I don't think it was ever cast into a part.

In my time working in the Ford parts dept I too never saw the fourth digit "Z" cast into a part it
was always as you mentioned either on a label, ink stamped or on the outside of the box.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »
Let me see if I understand what everyone is saying here:

A stamping on the crimped end of the hose is "normal".

The "A" in the fourth position is correct, but a "Z" is not - because "Z" parts were never stamped.

I'm looking at these two hoses, side by side, and the hoses, crimp sleeves, tubing and nuts have the same features. The patina of the metal is the same and the rubber hose is identical. There is no indication of tampering with a pre-existing stamp; the coloring and surface around the "Z" is the same as the rest of the metal.

The stamping is preceded by an "X" type of logo on both. And the font and size of the characters are identical. They both look like they came from the same supplier.

If the "Z" part was stamped at some time in the recent past and not 49 years ago when the "A" part was stamped, then they did one helluva job counterfeiting the stamp! :o

• MagMustangs
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
Pete, Your C3DZ Hose is a Ford Service Part. The number is 'Stamped', not 'Cast' into the hose end. It wasn't necessarily manufactured 49 years ago, but it is probably still old, and it is the Correct Ford Replacement Part. I can't say I have ever seen any parts with a 'Cast In' 4th digit Z, but I have seen some parts with a 'Stamped' 4th digit Z. Your hose is a good example. This thread might have become confusing because of the terminology that has been used. Ford Service Parts 'Typically' would have a label or an ink-paint stamp with the Ford Master Part Number which is what I have been trying to say, it is more usual to be that way instead of the stamping that is on your hose. It is Not very typical to have the 4th digit Z permanently numbered onto the part, but your hose is a good indicator that it did happen once in a while, at least. I hope the answers above have at least helped you a little in resolving your questions.

As far as the difference between the 3A714 and 3A717 hoses, they are different because they both have a specific way that they mount. 3A714 runs from a specific port in the Control Valve to a Specific Port in the Slave Cylinder and same with the 3A717, they have different angles on the ends and different lengths to fit correctly to their specific ports.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:48:40 PM by MagMustangs »

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »
Thanks. But your opinion directly contradicts Jim's. Which kinda adds to my confusion. It'd be nice to have some sort of consensus to go by :(

My first step is to determine the legitimacy of the parts. For that I need the opinions of others with more expert knowledge.

The parts have a 4-digit number following the part number: 028-7 and 281-6. It doesn't look like a date code format that I'm familiar with. Do you have any suggestions on what the significance of the numbers might be?