Author Topic: Reproduction Oil filter housing in this months MM  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Murf

Reproduction Oil filter housing in this months MM
« on: January 18, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »
While reading the article about building a better hipo motor in the February issue of MM a picture of a hand slipping on the filter housing of a Rotunda filter over a modern filter can be seen.  (Page 38, top photo) Removing this cover from a reproduction filter has been discussed before but has anyone ever come up with a way to get these apart and reuse the outer "can" by slipping it over an modern filter?  Seems simple enough but try as I might the reproduction Autolite filter I have will not separate. It is time to change oil and the ideal time to seperate the cover from the filter and reuse the can so if you have been successful at this trick, how did you do it and what was involved. Any pictures of this magic removal?   Also I have always had a desire to know what type of filter is hidden within those reproductions.  Speculation is a fl-1 Motorcraft, but does anyone know for sure? 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Reproduction Oil filter housing in this months MM
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
Haven't seen the article but have discussed this with a number of people over the year. I've attempted it with original external cans from originals before the reproductions became available and with the single crimps (69-71's) since those are not being redone.

Also allows one to recycle those odd AUTOLITE filters that were not originally made for Fords - think the last one I used was originally made for a Buick/GM or Studebaker

I've got the shorter Toyota filter number around here some where as well as pictures of cutting the can apart but can not find them at this moment. 

I disassembled the filter by grinding off the top edge of the filter until you remove the top edge (just the thickness of the single layer of metal that is bent over there. Once you can see the inner, the outer and the lip sections of metal you can pop them appart

Biggest challenge as been working the cans down to a point where one will slide into the other.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:30:11 PM »
Information posted on another forum stated that the red rotunda reproduction filter taken apart was a metal can with the correct double crimped end with the rotunda graphics pushed down over a Motorcraft filter.  It was retained only by pushing it over the Motorcraft filter so it is possible to remove the reproduction can with a little luck and some effort.  Will try it soon.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:40:01 PM »
John - just a thought, but I would guess that the reproductions are made slightly larger in dia. so that they will slip over other standard filters with little or no work - leaving only a small visible edge.

My challenge, will post some pictures later, has been fitting originals over late model filters. But that can be done also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)