Author Topic: Windscreen mold clips  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Blue Oval

Windscreen mold clips
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:50:15 AM »
I'm currently trying to fit new windscreen molds to my 66 coupe prior to painting the car. I've bought 3 sets of windscreen mold clips and they are all really poor quality spring steel. I can literally bend them and pull them off between two fingers. Needless to say they don't have much tension to hold a stainless mold in place.
Does anyone know of a particular brand clip that is as good as the original clips ?
Most of my originals have a split in the bottom thin section.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ron, Australia
 Concours newbie
 6R07A193893 Auto,Pwr Steer,Air,Deluxe interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Windscreen mold clips
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »
Doesn't AMK have these?  www.amkproducts.com
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Blue Oval

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:26:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
I believe AMK do have them but have heard varying reports on the quality of them.
I might give them a go. They'll be growing like mushrooms in my garage but at least they aren't expensive.
Ron, Australia
 Concours newbie

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
Gee...I bought my set from NPD, and they were very good in terms of holding the moldings in place and fitting onto the studs.  Really didn't have any problems with them...even the windshield guy said they were good.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:37:34 AM »
Always purchase them from the local auto paint store. Get a couple or a small box. When I need a few the local shops (body or glass shops I visit on a regular basis) normally don't mind giving me a few if I need them in a hurry
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Blue Oval

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »
Gee...I bought my set from NPD, and they were very good in terms of holding the moldings in place and fitting onto the studs.  Really didn't have any problems with them...even the windshield guy said they were good.

Thanks Midlife.
It does seem generally NPD supply the better quality parts. I contacted them and they assure me theirs won't bend easily.
I've had good luck with them in the past. Their shipping is expensive for me compared to others though.
Ron, Australia
 Concours newbie

Offline Blue Oval

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 11:18:10 AM »
Always purchase them from the local auto paint store. Get a couple or a small box. When I need a few the local shops (body or glass shops I visit on a regular basis) normally don't mind giving me a few if I need them in a hurry

My local auto paint stores aren't the greatest Jeff. I'll give them a shot but unless the clips are the same as the very common early falcon here I don't like my chances.
I appreciate your input  :D
Ron, Australia
 Concours newbie