Author Topic: Vinyl Top seams  (Read 2371 times)

Offline sparky65

Vinyl Top seams
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:30:31 PM »
How many seams are the vinyl tops supposed to have?  Mine had two but I have seen them with extra seams on the windshield piller.  How close are the repro tops?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Vinyl Top seams
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:24:30 AM »
There is typically a seam at the A-pillars.

Get the vinyl top material without the fuzzy backing.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:24:55 PM »

Get the vinyl top material without the fuzzy backing.

Whats the reason for not getting the fuzzy backing and where do you get it from?

Here is a picture of the one that was on mine.

I know not a great picture but you can tell there was no seam at the A-Pillars.  I feel it was the original top becouse the nails were still there tacking the seams down.  Also the black silicon/rubber was in the drip rails.  Was it something that varied from plant to plant?
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:43:52 AM »
Whats the reason for not getting the fuzzy backing and where do you get it from?

The felt backing can absorb moisture and increase the possibility of early rusting

I know not a great picture but you can tell there was no seam at the A-Pillars.  I feel it was the original top becouse the nails were still there tacking the seams down.  Also the black silicon/rubber was in the drip rails.  Was it something that varied from plant to plant?

Have seen plenty of 67-68's without the A pillar seams - like your car. Have not seen many (if any) redone tops where the installer reused the tacks at the bottom of the pillar. Think you might have an original IMHO from what I can see
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
Agree with Jeff, if the tacks are there and the pillar sealant is still in place, most likely the original top.  The seam may have been predominant with 65-66 cars.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sparky65

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »
Agree with Jeff, if the tacks are there and the pillar sealant is still in place, most likely the original top.  The seam may have been predominant with 65-66 cars.

Does anyone know of a source where I can get one without seams on the A pillers?
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe