Author Topic: How do you remove paint from plastic?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline C5ZZ

How do you remove paint from plastic?
« on: March 10, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »
I have an original red kick panel thats in good condition but
someone has painted it black, what can I use to remove the
paint but not harm the plastic?

I have heard of Easy Off oven cleaner used on fiberglass
panels but maybe its too harsh for plastic?
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: How do you remove paint from plastic?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »
That's Easy Off HD (with lye) for fiberglass.

A couple of weekends ago, I was helping someone with a '89 changing most of the flexible brake hoses.  Some brake fluid got onto my epoxy floor, and when I wiped it up, the floor was really clean!  Which got me to thinking...we all know that DOT 3 brake fluid removes paint...I can't believe that it would burn away plastic unless it soaked in it for hours at a time.  Just a crazy idea...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:06:59 AM »
Remember that anything you use has the potential to stay on the plastic after cleaning and cause issues later if you need to recolor them

May not be an  issue in this example just throwing it out there  ;)

Have used enamel reducer  and a scrub e brush  - circular motions (wax and silicon remover takes a lot longer) to remove paint from 65-66 consoles - might be worth a try
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline SteveLaRiviere

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »
I've had success soaking plastic parts in Pine-Sol. After a day or so the paint floats off and it doesn't seem to hurt the plastic at all.

Offline Oz390

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
Not sure how much a can of Easy Off is in the US, but here its far cheaper to buy a container of Caustic Soda, mix up a batch in a large tub and toss the parts in. 

Let 'em sit a day, flip 'em over, and then pull them out after another day.  It can take as little as a few hours if you are impatient.  Light scrubbing with a toothbrush or similar tool can help (wear good rubber gloves and eye protection, and in a well ventilated space!)

Done numerous dash parts, dome light bezels and horn pad trims.  Removes the old vaccum deposition "chrome" coatings too.

Same proecess can be used to remove old anodizing.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »
Not sure how much a can of Easy Off is in the US, but here its far cheaper to buy a container of Caustic Soda, mix up a batch in a large tub and toss the parts in.  ...........

Agreed that the Easy off can get expensive especially if you purchase it at a regular grocery store but found that finding Caustic Soda and straight lye (lye cakes) is allot more difficult in my region due to allot of environmental concerns and handling requirements. Ended up getting some specific drain cleaner but have not set up a tube of it yet. Had to wait for good weather since it will need to be well outside the house or garage ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)