Author Topic: How did you put back together your Mustang?  (Read 2645 times)

Offline koski19

How did you put back together your Mustang?
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »
Soon I'll be starting my restoration on a 66 Mustang Coupe. I'm curious as to the avenues to put the car back together. Since I haven't started the process I thought I would throw out the question of How Did You Put Your Mustang Back Together? Here's my initial approach:

1. Remove all components/assemblies from the car, putting the body on a movable dolly leaving just the frame and sub frame.
2. Clean and dry the frame/sub frame and inspect for rust and rusted out areas for repair. At this point I have rusted out areas where the firewall and floor pan meet and I assume too that this was caused by the infamous cowling leaking and will need new patch panels. Would it be beneficial to replace the complete floor pan or just the rusted out pieces?
3. I am planning on using Por-15 on all areas that aren't exposed to sunlight. under chasis, inside the fender whells, floor pans etc. Question: Is Por-15 paintable? I've never used the material so I don't know.
3. Once the new repair panels are welded in, take the car to the painter for spraying the body with primer, then have the engine bay and interior painted. Return the car to my shop.
4. Install the front and rear suspension and brake assemblies. Then install the fresh engine and all engine bay items, install trans and driveline.
5. Install the wheel and tires, remove car from the dolly.
6. Install all the fenders, hood, truck lid, doors, stone deflector etc.
7. Return the car to the painter for final prep and painting.
8. Return the car to the shop.
9. Install the interior along with all wiring, gauges, control, radio, headliner seats etc.
10. Install door windows, seals  and install windshield/back glass and seals.
11. Install all trim and appointments badges, grill, bumpers, gas cap, moldings etc.
12. Fire it up and have some fun!
I know there is alot of work to be completed between the steps. I guess I'm thinking out loud and wanted to know if my approach is logical. Have I forgotten anything? This won't be a concourse car but as close to factory as possible. I have a $10,000 budget to work with and need to stay within this budget and on time. I hope to have it completed within one year. Most of the work I'll complete myself. The painting, transmission rebuild and machine shop service will be farmed out.

Jeff

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
Re: How did you put back together your Mustang?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
Jeff,
Welcome.  I think you will find this site and its people very informative as I have.  Everyone here is always quick to help with great advice.

The first question would be what are your goals with the car?  Are you wanting a concourse restoration or something more modified?  If concourse is your goal, then this site is a gold mine of info.  If modified then this and other sites such as VMF will provide you what you need.

If you do decide to go concourse, the goal would be to replicate the car as it was built at its particular plant and during the time frame your car was bucked.  This will include research in particular build techniques used on your car by first documenting what you find on your car and supplementing that with examples built around the same time frame.  Your car will be the best place to find information, so the importance needs to be placed on careful disassembly, documenting with photos, and labeling and carefully storing parts so they can be restored properly and reinstalled correctly in their original location.  You will also want to use paint that closely replicates what was used at the time your car was built, which will probably will end up being tinted red or black epoxy primer or "batch paint" rather then POR-15.  Then again, if you are going modified, then POR-15 is a great product and you should go for it.

Bottom line is, to stay in budget: develop a careful plan and follow it, disassemble carefully and document, research thoroughly, and take advantage of the techniques documented here to avoid some of the trial an error.

Good luck and again, welcome!
Tom

MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:35:31 PM »
Soon I'll be starting my restoration on a 66 Mustang Coupe. I'm curious as to the avenues to put the car back together. Since I haven't started the process I thought I would throw out the question of How Did You Put Your Mustang Back Together? Here's my initial approach:

1. Remove all components/assemblies from the car, putting the body on a movable dolly leaving just the frame and sub frame.
2. Clean and dry the frame/sub frame and inspect for rust and rusted out areas for repair. At this point I have rusted out areas where the firewall and floor pan meet and I assume too that this was caused by the infamous cowling leaking and will need new patch panels. Would it be beneficial to replace the complete floor pan or just the rusted out pieces?

Could be a leaky heater core...depends on your car and the local conditions

3. I am planning on using Por-15 on all areas that aren't exposed to sunlight. under chasis, inside the fender whells, floor pans etc. Question: Is Por-15 paintable? I've never used the material so I don't know.

Would not use JMHO POR15... nasty stuff and not easy to overcoat. Used it on a couple, of beaters and would not use it again. except in maybe an area that I would never see or care about again. Not on and exposed floor, back of fenders.. Since the stuff dries like a rock ... I've found it difficult if not impossible to paint it again....at least for anything to stick for any period of time

Just me

3. Once the new repair panels are welded in, take the car to the painter for spraying the body with primer, then have the engine bay and interior painted. Return the car to my shop.
4. Install the front and rear suspension and brake assemblies. Then install the fresh engine and all engine bay items, install trans and driveline.
5. Install the wheel and tires, remove car from the dolly.
6. Install all the fenders, hood, truck lid, doors, stone deflector etc.

If your going "as close as possible" to concours then the doors, trunk rear valance .... would be attached to the unibody and mounting hardware painted. ;)  Or you'll have to make up for that detail later

7. Return the car to the painter for final prep and painting.
8. Return the car to the shop.
9. Install the interior along with all wiring, gauges, control, radio, headliner seats etc.

Your going to want to get those wire looms installed way back, just after, the car gets back from painting..... will save time and allow you to seal the firewall (firewall pad and heater in too) before you put the engine in.

10. Install door windows, seals  and install windshield/back glass and seals.

Done earlier since the extra weight (unless you've compensated for it earlier) of the windows and parts  will cause you doors to not fit any longer :(

11. Install all trim and appointments badges, grill, bumpers, gas cap, moldings etc.
12. Fire it up and have some fun!
I know there is alot of work to be completed between the steps. I guess I'm thinking out loud and wanted to know if my approach is logical. Have I forgotten anything? This won't be a concourse car but as close to factory as possible. I have a $10,000 budget to work with and need to stay within this budget and on time. I hope to have it completed within one year. Most of the work I'll complete myself. The painting, transmission rebuild and machine shop service will be farmed out.

Just a few things tnat stood out reading through your list
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline koski19

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I start May 1st with the final disassembly, photographing and documenting the car. I'll post some photos as that part concludes and I move to the next step...

Jeff