Author Topic: Original full size spare  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Original full size spare
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »
I had someone bring a low mileage 1969 Mach 1 to my shop to take a look at last week.  The car is a May 16 1969 Dearborn built car.  One of the things I came across was what appears to be the original spare tire in the trunk.  Its an F70-14 BF Goodrich tire and looking at everything like the felt pad, wheel weights, jack,and handle it looks to be undisturbed. 

My question/comment is I am wondering if the original full size spare tires that were placed in the trunks were detailed or not over the years.  This one still seems to have the blue material on the whitewall stripe in place.  Did the dealers prep the wheels and tires and the spare would typically not be touched?  Anyone else ever document what was done on original spares?

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Original full size spare
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:34:20 PM »
..........My question/comment is I am wondering if the original full size spare tires that were placed in the trunks were detailed or not over the years.  This one still seems to have the blue material on the whitewall stripe in place.  Did the dealers prep the wheels and tires and the spare would typically not be touched?  Anyone else ever document what was done on original spares?

Seen the same thing though I would guess that they would be detailed of the new buyer asked or pushed for it - but few if any did.

After so many years if often difficult to find them that way today since most of the ones at shows are cleaned with in a inch of their lives .... some times  IMHO going too far.

Recall a fairly recent local show where someone had brought their nice original car. When I asked them about the paint and other inspector marks they replied "Oh those things... yes I cleaner those off when I was polishing"  :(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:36:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »

Thanks Jeff.  I have to think that in general the original spares were probably not detailed as well.  Probably much harder to figure that out today as we have very few survivor cars we can look at for that. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »
Did 69 Mach 1s have the GT wheels standard?  I'm surprised to see a black steel wheel in the trunk.  I thought it would have been a GT wheel.  Not sure why there would be the felt pad on a black wheel.

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 02:10:49 AM »
Scott,  Its a styled steel wheel, so the outside edge is actually black and the center is chrome.  Hard to see in the photos but the one picture with the wheel weight you caqn see a little of the chrome.  The felt pad protects that chrome center. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline fordtj69

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »
hi can i jump in and ask a ? the trap door handle and stay phospate as in the first photo and what about the hinges for san jose 69
thanks tim

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:24:34 AM »
Scott,  Its a styled steel wheel, so the outside edge is actually black and the center is chrome.  Hard to see in the photos but the one picture with the wheel weight you caqn see a little of the chrome.  The felt pad protects that chrome center.

Thanks Marcus, that makes sense.

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
hi can i jump in and ask a ? the trap door handle and stay phospate as in the first photo and what about the hinges for san jose 69
thanks tim

The picture is likely of a Dearborn car. Trap door hinges for that year would be Dark Charcoal Metallic (black interior color)

Here is a quick pictures of a unrestored 69 San Jose trap door area - you should notice a few differences between the assembly plant practices as well as the suppliers

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:55:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline fordtj69

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Hi Jeff
thanks for that i thought it was all dark charcoal but in the photo it shows the handle as phospate and the catch charcoal just asking as my parts were blasted in a box
thanks tim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »
Hi Jeff
thanks for that i thought it was all dark charcoal but in the photo it shows the handle as phospate and the catch charcoal just asking as my parts were blasted in a box
thanks tim

On San Jose
Catch is semi-gloss black  (phosphate elsewhere ;)
Hinges are Charcoal
Arm/spring or what ever its called is phosphate and oil
Jeff Speegle

Offline fordtj69

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 01:26:35 AM »
thanks Jeff