Author Topic: Undecided on Body Prep  (Read 9713 times)

Offline koski19

Re: Undecided on Body Prep
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »
I concur, start with the floor panel and go from there. I'd much rather have the patch panels. For now the coupe's up on jack stands as I have been blowing and vacuuming out the left over media material from all the nooks and crannies. When the temps drop, I'll start removing the front and rear suspension, steering column and gear box tonight.

Thanks
Jeff

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »
If you if you do the patching yourself here's a few tips I learned along the way:
Practice butt welding on scrap first and proceed when you are comfortable with your technique
Rather than trying to weld a bead, weld a series of spot welds by lifting the welding tip.  This helps prevent burn through
Cut back to good solid metal. 
Use some card stock and a sharpie to make a template.
Cut sheet metal slightly outside your trace lines and trim with snips to trim to a nice tight fit.
Test fit and trim this can be time consuming but take your time and be patient until you get it right.
Tight seams help prevent blow through and make for a nicer repair
I used small strong magnets where I couldn't clamp to hold butt weld in place and tacked with the welder.
Once I got 4 sides securely tacked, I started stitch welding.  Do about 1/4" at a time and take your time.
Pause between stitches and wait for piece to cool to prevent warping
Alternate sides when stitch welding and again, wait for work to cool...important :)
Continue welding and waiting until patch is complete.

Takes some practice.  Burn through was frustrating at first but with practice I got adequate enough with my technique to make it work.

MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline koski19

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »
Thanks for the tips, really do appreciate them, My plan is to finish removing the front/rear suspensions, get under the car with a light and finishing removing any left road grim the blaster couldn't get to. Treat the rusty areas and spray epoxy primer. Next I'll move on to cutting out the floor pan and test fit the new one. As large as it is, I'll assume for now it goes in from underneath the coupe? I have a welder friend who is going to help place, trim and get the panel aligned for welding. Once the panel is welded in and epoxy primered,  I'll move to the passenger side quarter panel and cut out the bad parts and install patch panels retaining the main panel. I'll start a new thread when the welding work begins. Question; there is a black primer on the new floor pan, does this black material need to be removed and re-primed or can I spray over it?

Jeff

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »
Thanks for the tips, really do appreciate them, My plan is to finish removing the front/rear suspensions, get under the car with a light and finishing removing any left road grim the blaster couldn't get to. Treat the rusty areas and spray epoxy primer. Next I'll move on to cutting out the floor pan and test fit the new one. As large as it is, I'll assume for now it goes in from underneath the coupe? I have a welder friend who is going to help place, trim and get the panel aligned for welding. Once the panel is welded in and epoxy primered,  I'll move to the passenger side quarter panel and cut out the bad parts and install patch panels retaining the main panel. I'll start a new thread when the welding work begins. Question; there is a black primer on the new floor pan, does this black material need to be removed and re-primed or can I spray over it?

Jeff

I believe the floor pan installs from the top.

The black coating is e-coat, a electrically charged primer coat.  It is very good rust protection.  You will only need to remove where you are welding.  I clean weld areas then spray with weld-through primer for rust protection.  You can spray DP 74 epoxy primer over e-coat, just follow the manufacturer's instructions.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:46:37 PM by tomtri66 »
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 10:53:17 AM »
PPG makes a wash primer that you can use to coat the metal while you are doing metal repairs.  I probably wouldn't apply any epoxy primer until all the welding was done.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline koski19

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »
My product choice is to use Mastercoat Metal Prep and Rust Remover followed by 2 coats of Mastercoat Silver Sealer. Here's the link: http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/primer/
Then coat with epoxy primer. Use body filler where needed. Block sand, get the panel straight, when that's done and I'm happy, then 2 coats of 2k primer. The base color is going to be Suatrene Gold, black paint for the interior and the black vinyl roof. This is the way the car came from the factory. Haven't yet decided on the manufacturer for the base color.  Original as you know was Ditzler which I believe now is PPG. If correct, I'll use epoxy primers, urethane base coat and a clear coat. Well, I'm along way off for those decisions. Getting the panels in and prepped are my concern at this point.

Jeff

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »
+1 on what Tom said I think the floor pan will go in through the back window.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline koski19

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
I'll be finding out next week when I start. Would it be easier to cut the old floor out in sections than in one piece? Just curious as to what has been done in the past and what seems to work best. Removed the rear suspension this morning and tonight I'll start on the front suspension and steering column.
Ohh the fun!....LOL

Jeff