Author Topic: Radio delete, a Mustang term?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Oneowneraquaboss

Radio delete, a Mustang term?
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »
Hey guys I just wanted to help clear something up. I've listened for years to the Corvette guys use the term radio delete. Cool term, sounds special, but as far as I know at least until 1970 the Mustang didn't come with a radio, just like most early Ford cars. Is my model 'T' a radio delete car because it didn't have a radio, I don't think so because its hard to delete something that was never there. Being ten years younger, the Mustang lives in the Corvettes shadow and its awful to hear that GM term used in connection with our Mustangs especially when it truly doesn't apply. Sorry if I stepped on any toes and I'm open to comments. Rich
0F02G192781 - I ordered new in 1970
Paint code 'F' - 1 of 9 BOSS 302's produced in this color
Axle code 'W' - 1 of 230, 4.30 Detroit Locker cars with oil cooler
Magnums, Shaker, Deluxe interior, P/S and Spoilers
HAPPY MOTORING

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Radio delete, a Mustang term?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »
Yes, you're right.  Radios were technically not standard equipment on Mustangs, at least for the first few years.  You always see a line item for a radio on the window sticker with associated cost.  Delete items, where a credit was given if not installed, were limited to things like heaters and seat belts.

For something like radios, though, it wouldn't be uncommon for dealers to order them without radios and install aftermarket kits that looked like the factory radios.  So, even though the car didn't come with it from the assembly plant, it could have been sold with one when new.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 12:30:41 PM »
Look at it this way, the radio was an "add-on" option. The cover for the hole in the dash where the radio went was standard. My first three new Fords (a 64 Fairlane HP, a 66 Fastback and a 69 Sportsroof) were special ordered by me without a radio. In those days, Ford wanted too much money for a radio, as did GM and Chrysler, so many people got a better one cheaper. Plus back then you had a choice of beautiful AM or this new thing called FM, or an even newer invention, the "8 track". The latter two were considered untested and not desirable. Dealer ordered cars for the most part included a radio option.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »
One of my pet peeves is when buying a new car today, you have to pay extra for the carpeted floor mats  Just try and buy a car without them nowadays...Some things never change.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 03:02:42 AM »
After they did become a standard item, then the term "radio delete" was accurate. When I ordered my '86 GT I specified a radio delete. I got a credit for it in the purchase price. When the car arrived it had a block off plate for the radio AND the antenna. Funny thing was, they installed all of the speakers!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD