Author Topic: Headliner Install - what are the tips to make this work?  (Read 5460 times)

Offline MWM

Headliner Install - what are the tips to make this work?
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »
Hello,
I have a '65 fastback and I ripped the headliner trying to get it in tight. Any suggestions for a successful install? Also are there wire stays in the rear to hold the bow?
Thanks

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Headliner Install - what are the tips to make this work?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
Yes, wire holds for the rear bow at the back just like a coupe, but they are different length for a fastback.

Lots of info on headliner installation over the years, online and in magazines.  Would suggest to follow some examples and if that doesn't work, might have to throw in the towel and let a pro do it.  It wouldn't be very expensive to have a shop do it, especially if the front/rear glass are out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline MWM

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:38:51 PM »
Thank you Charles!
Previously I did a search on YouTube, but it was just a before and after shot with no install details. I will keep searching. I feel that I was close, but maybe a little anxious. Either that or the thin fabric?  Will also check for a reputable item.
Thank you!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
The main thing with a headliner is to get it hung with the rear bow retaining wires in place and then pull forward.  Have to make sure the material is centered also.  Once the front is stuck, do the back, then the sides.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline MWM

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »
Thank you! That's what I needed to know. I was trying to set the front first. Thanks again!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 12:40:22 AM »
Yup, from the rear to the front. I was fortunate enough to have the actual San Jose Plant Ford assembly line guy that did headliners install the headliner on my 66 Fastback (the one that speaks Australian) and my 66 Hardtop. (There are a few advantages in living in the Milpitas area.) Unfortunately he does work for a "higher" assembly line now, but I do remember a few things he did. The trick part was trimming, applying the cement and tucking in the front part of the headliner under the windshield weather strip seal while the windshield was in place. This was the method that was use to repair poorly installed or damaged headliners. He used a couple of different width scrapers that had the working edge wore down so it wouldn't cut the material. The yellow contact cement was from a can and applied with a brush. I can't think of any method to do a test run, so good luck.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Sam Cro

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »
Here in my Area there is NO one that will touch a headliner repair on a 1966 coupe and the repair is in a seam they all have freaked out and said NO WAY . is it really that hard or are they all just that lazy?

Sam

Offline Oz390

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »
Not surprising.  Need to remove the headliner to repair a blown out seam properly.  Getting it out and back in without damaging it could be tricky.  Would also depend on if the material is too fragile to take new stiches along the same stitch line. 

So most shops would probably just recommend a replacement.

You "could" try to hand sew, but that would be tough to hide all the stitches as its sewed from the backside.  If you just pinch it and sew it up with visible stitches it would not be too hard.  Depends how good you want it to look when done... and hard to keep taut and even, if repairing in the car.

Have seen folks try various glues, but never really works that well from what I saw. 
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »
The main thing with a headliner is to get it hung with the rear bow retaining wires in place and then pull forward.  Have to make sure the material is centered also.  Once the front is stuck, do the back, then the sides.

+1  If you have the time and its hot then you can let it sit and re-tighten after a day (no glue to the sides yet) During the winter the headliner should be taken out of the wrapper/box and laid in the sun or thrown in the dryer (low setting) to remove the box wrinkles and allow it to flex more

Also take some old pinch molding and cut it into short 2-3" pieces. These can be used to temporarily hold the head liner in place as you tension carefully and shape the head liner.

Done a few - never fun but I can throw away a half dozen headliners for what a shop will change to put one in. IMHO I would rather learn a skill and save long term but that's just me ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »
This is a pretty tutorial on installing the headline, and it has lots of good photos.

http://www.relicrecyclery.com/groovygreen/page12/LE600_12.htm
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline sparky65

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »

Also take some old pinch molding and cut it into short 2-3" pieces. These can be used to temporarily hold the head liner in place as you tension carefully and shape the head liner.

I found binder clips worked better then old pinch molding.  You have to be careful pushing on the pinch molding that it doesn't push the head liner in with it.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe