Author Topic: Best way to strip radiator support to find factory markings  (Read 7384 times)

Offline specialed

Re: Best way to strip radiator support to find factory markings
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »
Hard to make out # on lower rad support on most cars I work on have oil coolers & lower mount bracket covers # up & it gets messed up when oil cooler bracket gets installed.  What about the markings by right side horn area on some 69s  & on 70 model marking behind hood latch support mounting bracket at top white marking with lite black overspray maybe build sheet covered them up on Dearborn cars anyway?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »
Hard to make out # on lower rad support on most cars I work on have oil coolers & lower mount bracket covers # up & it gets messed up when oil cooler bracket gets installed.  What about the markings by right side horn area on some 69s  & on 70 model marking behind hood latch support mounting bracket at top white marking with lite black overspray maybe build sheet covered them up on Dearborn cars anyway?

Think your referring to the writing applied before black was added - rather than after.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 01:05:03 AM »
yeah but anybdy know what it stands for?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 02:20:51 AM »
yeah but anybdy know what it stands for?

Ed not sure what "it" is. If your referring to the markings on the passenger or drivers side radiator support of a 69-70 Dearborn car or the section over the top where the hood latch support attaches

I suggest that you clarify and start a new thread (specific year and plant is not what this thread is focusing on) and we'll see if we can figure out an answer or at least a good guess. 

That Boss I 'm putting back together (69 - B302) had two sets on the passenger side and 5-6 sets of marking the drivers.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »
Are you sure yours is a Metuchen car and not a Dearborn car?  I would have thought that a Metuchen car would have a buck tag, making the radiator support markings unnecessary.

I also have a Metuchen car. It's a Dec 65 build with a buck tag still attached and I have grease pencil markings on my rad support. One of the numbers on the drivers side is the same as the rotation number on my build sheet. Anyone know what the other one may be? Ivygreen65, are you reffering to the grease pencil markings or the under paint markings when you say that the radiatior support markings may not be present? Just wondering because I am literally in the process of stripping the paint off my engine bay at the moment. I was looking forward to seeing them so as I could add to the pool of information here. I suppose I'll find out soon enough. 
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 12:11:02 AM »
I also have a Metuchen car. It's a Dec 65 build with a buck tag still attached and I have grease pencil markings on my rad support. One of the numbers on the drivers side is the same as the rotation number on my build sheet. Anyone know what the other one may be? ................

Guessing that the second rotation number you found that matched your buildsheet was on top of the black

As for figuring out the marks you found I suggest that you start a thread (with a picture of your findings) in the 65-66 section since this discussion is more a generic one about discovering them rather than deciphering them ;)

Keeps things like and tidy as well as easier for others to find discussions easier when looking for them
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 05:23:47 AM »
I agree. Will do.
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Online ruppstang

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »
I found these on our 7-16 68 San Jose High Country Special.