Author Topic: Console  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Chris

Console
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
My 64 1/2 came with a center console (when I bought it from the previous owner). When I replaced the carpet, I discovered that the console was not attached to the floor tunnel, rather the screws were embedded in the carpet alone (no holes through the tunnel). I have the correct screws from NPD for mounting the console but they don't look to be long enough to go through the plastic, through the carpet, and still penetrate the tunnel to any degree. How has anyone else secured their center console?
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline mjd 65

Re: Console
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »
Are you sure you got the right screws?  I've attached a picture for reference.  These should be long enough to reach the tunnel.  It helps to "cauterize" the carpet with a soldering iron before you install the screws.  This keeps the carpet from wrapping around the screw.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
The service replacement screw is 376365-S(100), 8-18X1 1/4 inch, oval head, Phillips drive, stainless. It is not referenced on any of the Mustang Assembly drawings. Six are required.
1 Remove the seats. (Trust me, remove the seats.)
2 You should have the front bracket installed and the console attached to it before you install the screws, paying attention to the shifter plate for proper operation and clearance.
3 If there is no front bracket, place the console over the shifter plate and make any side to side and front to back adjustments keeping the top of the console and the bottom of the dash parallel.
4 Using an awl or an ice pick, drive a hole into the drive shaft hump in one hole and leave the tool there. This will keep the console from shifting while you mark the remaining five holes. Mark the edge of the console with white chalk in a few spots (the chalk will come off easy) on the carpet for alignment as well. Remember, there is a 1/2 inch thick tar based insulation material to go thru before the screw hits metal. Use a blue or black ball point pen refill for light carpet, it needs to go thru the screw hole in the console. The marking should device should be at a 40 to 50 degree angle from the horizontal.
5 For black carpet use: a light colored marker that will go thru the screw hole; chalk and a straw; a stick match and a dab of white paint on the blunt end - get creative. Remember the angle.
6 When all the holes are marked, remove the tool and the console, and, as the other post suggested, use a hot soldering iron or gun to melt the carpet (it will stink) over your marks. This will reduce the chance of the carpet getting unraveled. The factory did not do this (they "punched" the screws in with an air tool) so when, and if, you removed the mounting screws, the carpet sometimes unraveled (and you learn new words).
7 Replace the console (don't forget to hook up the wiring), use the punch to go thru the insulation and into the metal. Again, the angle of the punching tool should be about 40 to 50 degrees from the horizontal. Install the screws and you are done (except for the seats).
The second one is always easier.
Jim     
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
IF its a long console (no ac) put the front mounting bracket in place and attach it before you make all the other holes. ;)

Also watch the carpet as you insert the screws- If they catch a loop then you will pull about 3-4" of the pile when you tighten each :( be careful

I've never done the heating or burning of the console when I do them. Just punch them and screw them in - Again paying attention to the pile - just me

As a side note (don't know exactly when each change was made) there was an early (64 1/2) automatic shifter bezel and indicator lens for these. I wrote an early (and I mean early 80's) Mustang Monthly on those and other console details - so long ago ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks, it's a short console for A/C. The shifter indicator plate is unique for 64 1/2 (see fist pic) as it does not have the red arrows for which position (park, reverse, neutral, drive) you are in like 65/66.

I had a question about the wiring, the wires to the console have three connections, red, black, and green. The console wiring has just two, red and black. What is the green wire for? I don't have it hooked up.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks, it's a short console for A/C. The shifter indicator plate is unique for 64 1/2 (see fist pic) as it does not have the red arrows for which position (park, reverse, neutral, drive) you are in like 65/66.

I had a question about the wiring, the wires to the console have three connections, red, black, and green. The console wiring has just two, red and black. What is the green wire for? I don't have it hooked up.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

The green wire (with a yellow stripe if I remember correctly) is used for the light in the console compartment (at the front at the front of the console).  Since you have A/C and the short console your console doesn't have the front compartment and therefore don't need to plug the green wire into anything.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline 64rustang

• Holland Patent, NY
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »
The '64 1/2 automatic bezel is also unique.  It does not have raised lines that correspond with the letters on the shift indicator plate.  They are scarce.  I finally found one.  The indicator plates are easier to find.  Good luck with your project!
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRAN
 65A        D        46       27E      22       3        6
VEHICLE WARRANTY NUMBER
5F07U148XXX

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:03:51 PM »
The '64 1/2 automatic bezel is also unique.  It does not have raised lines that correspond with the letters on the shift indicator plate.  They are scarce.  I finally found one.  The indicator plates are easier to find.  Good luck with your project!

From reply #3  ;)  agree not easy to find when your looking fro one - the lens and bezel appear to have been running changes but have not found the change to be exactly the same time - likely using up older inventory

As a side note (don't know exactly when each change was made) there was an early (64 1/2) automatic shifter bezel and indicator lens for these.........
Jeff Speegle

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »
Do you have a picture of the shifter bezel? What part is that exactly?

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 05:14:20 AM »
Do you have a picture of the shifter bezel? What part is that exactly?

Comparison pictures would be good to see the differences between the shifter bezel and the indicator lens...
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline 64rustang

• Holland Patent, NY
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
Here is a picture of the bezel without the raised lines and indicator without the red arrows.  I don't have a picture of the more common '65 & '66 items.  Simply look at any of the parts suppliers websites.  I hope this helps.  Sorry for the less than professional photo, and more importantly the dust!  Shame on me...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:59:34 PM by 64rustang »
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRAN
 65A        D        46       27E      22       3        6
VEHICLE WARRANTY NUMBER
5F07U148XXX

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »
Here's a picture of the late 65 style with the raised lines for comparison purposes.

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 09:50:56 PM »
You also have differences (early to late) of the rear light frame and glove/storage light mounting, style and operation.

Guess we could do a 64-66 Console Identification article for the Library ;)

Use to normally have 50 around the house at any one time (big seller at swap meets in the 80's) Not much left except a few boxes with parts.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:52:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »
Guess we could do a 64-66 Console Identification article for the Library ;)

I, for one, would really like to see the differences.  I always thought the '64-66 consoles were mostly identical.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
Yes it would be a nice addition. Just an off shoot from the one in Mustang Monthly long long ago LOL

I'll start a new thread to list what we're going to need to start the process
Jeff Speegle