Author Topic: Why no OE Tooling '67-68 Dashpad?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Why no OE Tooling '67-68 Dashpad?
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »
I was thumbing through the NPD catalog earlier this evening, and I realized that there's no OE tooling dashpad for '67-68s.  I've heard that there's two main variations of the dashpads currently available: either it fits well but the grain is off, or the grain is correct but the fit is terrible.  I'm surprised that no one has stepped up and made a decent, or at least more correct, '67-68 dashpad, especially when the OE tooling versions are available for '65-66s, AND '71-73s (which surprised me too, I would've thought the '67-68 pad would be reproduced and perfected LONG before anyone started making pads for the '71-73s).

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Why no OE Tooling '67-68 Dashpad?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:13:01 PM »
I've heard that the original Ford tooling was destroyed in a fire or an industrial accident quite some years ago.  Can anyone verify that?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:54:12 PM »
I've heard that the original Ford tooling was destroyed in a fire or an industrial accident quite some years ago.  Can anyone verify that?

Haven't heard that, but would explain things.  The current reproduction leaves a lot to be desired, which is why original pads have become so valuable these days.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
I was told at SEMA a number of years ago that the original tooling was destroyed by a vendor who was trying to produce a reproduction of it.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
About 8 years ago we found a reproduction dashpad (I think NPD) for a 67 I was assisting on and it fit well and had a nice grain. It was a different time.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »
The current repros fit well and have a nice grain. Thats the problem, the nice grain
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America