Author Topic: Who makes the best decal set?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline MWM

Who makes the best decal set?
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:37:34 AM »
Good Morning!
My '65 fastback has been completely repainted and I would like to add a decal set. Who makes the best decal set? I realize that probably have some misgivings, but would like to add a set regardless.
Thank you!

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Who makes the best decal set?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
I think that Osborn is the only game in town.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
Good Morning!
My '65 fastback has been completely repainted and I would like to add a decal set. Who makes the best decal set? I realize that probably have some misgivings, but would like to add a set regardless.
Thank you!

most 'kits' come with quite a few unneeded decals. ecs automotive has a great selection.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
most 'kits' come with quite a few unneeded decals. ecs automotive has a great selection.
+1 ECS are extremely authentic in type and material when compare to the Osborn counterpart. You can buy direct and also NPD sells them in a separate section with the ECS name and as well as the lower priced Osborn ones.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
I agree with Bob.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »
Unfortunately allot of the reproduction decals are made from modern materials so they look different - read vinyl based. Currently you can only find a limited number made by some shops (one here one there) that are more original. Unfortunately it appears that currently there is not enough of a market (especially given the wide range of different decals needed out there to cover all applications) to support making them correctly in all cases

ECS does do a better job as far as better art work and details and the Osborn (as mentioned) kits will mean that you'll throw half of those that you receive away or stick them on your tool box or give them to your kid to stick on their bike or wagon  :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carm

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 01:15:49 AM »
Unfortunately allot of the reproduction decals are made from modern materials so they look different - read vinyl based. Currently you can only find a limited number made by some shops (one here one there) that are more original. Unfortunately it appears that currently there is not enough of a market (especially given the wide range of different decals needed out there to cover all applications) to support making them correctly in all cases

ECS does do a better job as far as better art work and details and the Osborn (as mentioned) kits will mean that you'll throw half of those that you receive away or stick them on your tool box or give them to your kid to stick on their bike or wagon  :(

Could you please tell us who these few shops are that make the more original decals?
1969 GT350 convertible grabber orange
Auto
Built: April 21,1969. Dearborn

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »
5F09C331248

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
we did.    http://www.ecsautomotive.com

I think he was referring to Jeff's statement about a few of the small shops that make accurate reproductions of a few of the decals.  I know Jack at Dead Nuts On makes a very accurate version of the Autolite decal and tie down decal for 69s, but I'm not aware of anyone making decals for 65-66s other than Osbourn and ECS.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
Could you please tell us who these few shops are that make the more original decals?

Only a few places do them for the specific cars they focus on.

Dead Nuts On has been mentioned http://www.deadnutson.com/page/page/4367174.htm

Jim Cowles does the 65-66 engine CU decal for Hipo's from time to time. http://s247533021.onlinehome.us/catalog/

I've made some engine ID (for those cars not covered by the other producers - or for those that don't want the vinyl look) as well as paper battery inspection decals (though I wish I didn't have to make them) for many of the Div I cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)