Author Topic: Need Some Input  (Read 3627 times)

Offline koski19

Need Some Input
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »
Yesterday I installed the passenger side quarter panel, installed the trunk lid, the passenger side door and the rear valance. I have a problem with the driver side quarter panel and the rear valance. The driver side clearance is 1/2" between the panel and the valance and is off set. This gap needs to be at least 1/4".  The passenger side clearance is 1/4". I have attached photos to show. The last photo shows the old rear valance and the damage there. However the valance was installed using filler to make the gap. A little history. The driver side quarter panel is an OEM part bought thru Ford in 1981 and installed based on the sticker that was still attached to the inside of the quarter panel. I think the maybe the driver side quarter panel is sticking out 1/4" to 1/2".  Here's my question: How do I fix/repair this gap?
I really don't want to install a new driver side quarter panel. I've run out of ideas and none seem to give the answer I'm looking for.

Jeff

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Need Some Input
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
This is a fairly common problem as the reproduction valances are sometimes short causing this however in your case it looks like they fit the replacement driver side quarter to a severely damaged valance that should have been replaced. I think your only option is to break loose the welds on the lower part of the quarter panel at the rear body panel until you can move it in. You may need a friction jack to do it but it will move. Be careful not to buckle the quarter panel at the wheelhouse area. Once it's fit to your satisfaction weld it back up.

Looks like your project is progressing very nice.    Chris
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline koski19

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »
Chris...What's a Friction Jack?I never heard this term. Thanks for the suggestion...I'll work on it today.........

Jeff

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »
A friction jack, also nick named "monkey on a stick" is a pole jack that can be reversed so it's able to push out or in. If you don't have one a simple come along will do the job as well. You just need something to pull that quarter panel in an hold it in position with screws to check the fit of the valance before welding.

http://www.wayfair.com/ALC-Friction-Jack-Set-Monkey-On-A-Stick-77043-TCZ1112.html#
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline koski19

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »
Learn something new each and every day. Thanks for the explanation. I do have a come along.

Jeff

Offline koski19

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »
I spent yesterday afternoon attempting to move the rear quarter panel in 1/4" to align with the rear valance, no go. I then decided to remove the quarter panel to install a new one. Have the new Dynacorn panels ordered. I'll be replacing the outer wheel well, the quarter panel, the taillight panel and the "B" pillar. These pieces where rusted (lots of rust) and filled with fillers and sound deadners to cover it up. The drain hole in the rear quarter panel was plugged with a rubber material that no water was allowed to drain. The "B" Pillar has two 1/2" holes drilled thru at the top and bottom, can't figure what that was for. I'll be posting photos under a new thread later.

Jeff

Offline koski19

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »
Since Nov 22, my last post I've been busy with the coupe. I removed the tail light panel and driver's side quarter panel and ordered new Dynacorn parts.
After the parts where received I did a test fit of the panels to include:  tail light panel, trunk filler panels, driver's side and passenger quarter panels and the rear valance. There is an alignment problem with the passenger side holes where the tail light housing attaches. Either the tail light panel needs to be moved down or the quarter panel needs to be moved up and I have figured it out yet. All and all I'm happy with the initial fit. Looks better than the first photos posted in this thread. Now for the tweeking part. I also worked on painting the rust preserver/preventative after the metal prep and finished up the hood, front fenders, engine bay and the rear of the coup.
I also finished up the front seat upholstery. Back to the coupe tomorrow.

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 11:27:13 PM »
I saved some of your pictures on my memory stick...will come in useful later. I also like the simple front and rear dollies you made; I'm going to borrow your design for my car.

Thanks

Ray
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:05:05 PM by suskeenwiske »
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline koski19

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
I have the info for making the dolly's. Let's get together and talk more.
I'll look into the Gallery later today. Get some before and after photos
posted.

Jeff

Offline CW4macret

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »
I have the info for making the dolly's. Let's get together and talk more.
I'll look into the Gallery later today. Get some before and after photos
posted.

Jeff

Could you post the info on making the dolly's ?  Thanks
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 11:07:23 PM »
Good deal Jeff...would enjoy seeing some before and after photos...and yeah, the info on the Dolly Construction would be great.

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A