Author Topic: What is the best rust converter or rust eater?  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Rsanter

What is the best rust converter or rust eater?
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »
So I am working on the 69 convertible and while the car is a survivor in the terms that it is remarkably preserved it does have a few problems.
I am replacing the drivers front floorpan and the passenger side has lots of inside surface rust with a few pin holes. I have wire wheeled the floor the bast I can and it looks great but has lots of Pitts and some are deep. I was wanting to use a rust converter or neutralizer something that will get any rust I may have missed.
So what do you recommend? What has worked for you?

On a second note, I was going to weld up the rust pinholes by using a copper backing and the going real easy with the welder. Is there a better way like a specific epoxy or something. I was wanting to maintain the surface finish on the underside as best I can so the car appears as untampered as I can keep it

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: What is the best rust converter or rust eater?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »
So I am working on the 69 convertible and while the car is a survivor in the terms that it is remarkably preserved it does have a few problems.
I am replacing the drivers front floorpan and the passenger side has lots of inside surface rust with a few pin holes. I have wire wheeled the floor the bast I can and it looks great but has lots of Pitts and some are deep. I was wanting to use a rust converter or neutralizer something that will get any rust I may have missed.
So what do you recommend? What has worked for you?

On a second note, I was going to weld up the rust pinholes by using a copper backing and the going real easy with the welder. Is there a better way like a specific epoxy or something. I was wanting to maintain the surface finish on the underside as best I can so the car appears as untampered as I can keep it

Bob
One way is to after prepping the surface pour some activated fiberglass resin and bond a piece of fiberglass mat to the passenger compartment side of the floor . It will add strength and cover the pin holes so you can dress them on the bottom side .Put tape over the bottom side of the pin holes so the resin will not drip through and for less dressing of the shape after it cures. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »
     Most recently I have been using this Napa product.  Can't say how well it really works but it makes me feel better.  The treated area turns a darker color and the surface rusting does indeed stop.  As you know the only real treatment for burn-thru rust is R & R.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »
R & R = Rest and Relaxation.  Pretty cool how that works ::)  Or is that Rip and Replace...
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »
     Ruminate and Regret.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:54:33 PM »
Think Rust Mort is one of the earliest products to convert and protect (used it first about 25 years ago) and checking its still around. Think its available in small or large containers and possibly spray. NEVER liked the POR 15 sort of stuff (tried a number of companies over the years) for restorations. Now farm equipment is another thing ;)

As for the pin holes consider that if the rust has eaten the metal that far there are allot more (not visible) area where 50% or more of the metal is gone so a quick fix is fiberglass as Bob mentioned or replacing a small section of metal for a like new repair
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dave6768

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:36 PM »
Long before this was a hobby, I used a rust convertor on my floor boards after some wire wheel treatment and then fiberglass.  That was 38 years ago and 200,000 miles later and 15 years of daily driving after that and I still have the same floor boards with no evidence that rust has come back.  I was a poor high school student at the time and did what I could.  Never thought I would own the car this long or that I would not have to touch the floor boards again.

So...what ever they had back then was good stuff.  I would imagine that you could easily do the same thing.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »
So...what ever they had back then was good stuff.  I would imagine that you could easily do the same thing.

Might have been Rust Mort
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
I really like Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.  It comes in a spray can and in a can for brush applications.  Just remove any rust scale and obviously loose rust and apply.  It can be painted over easily after it dries. 

People have had poor results with POR15 at times: it needs rust to bind to the material.  I've also used Naval Jelly and didn't really care for it.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »
There are only a few holes but a bunch of Pitts that I will guarantee are 50% through the metal.
I have wire wheeled the snot out of it but want to be sure there is no rust hiding in the recesses that will come back and bite me.
I had thought about an epoxy but didn't think of fiberglass

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 11:39:14 PM »
Pssst - Rust Mort can be used to phosphate steel and iron. Don't tell anybody.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »
Pssst - Rust Mort can be used to phosphate steel and iron. Don't tell anybody.

+1.  It's not my first choice for phosphating (it's too expensive for that!), but it does work well in a pinch!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
+1.  It's not my first choice for phosphating (it's too expensive for that!), but it does work well in a pinch!
Actually it's not. I use somewhere between 2 and 4 ounces of either Rust-Mort or the regular concentrate per gallon of 180F water in the tank to phosphate. The last quart of Rust-Mort I bought was about $17 per quart and the regular concentrate was $20 a quart. Remember, it is a substitute not the preferred chemical.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline koski19

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/products/mastercoat-metal-prep/
http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/products/primer/

I'm using the above two products on my 66 coupe. Click the links. I have photos posted on several threads at this site.
I'm pretty happy with the results and it's alot less than POR-15 from what I hear.

Jeff

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 05:35:15 PM »
I really like Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. 

+2 on Eastwoods
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior