Author Topic: New seam sealer  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Rsanter

New seam sealer
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
So when I was pressure washing the  69 conv it blew off some of the old original dried up seam sealer in various places on the car.
Under hood, under the front fenders, and under the car

I need to redo these areas to protect the seams but I also want it to look as original and untampered as I can hopefully get. What are your recommendations on what to use

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: New seam sealer
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
Depends IMHO where specifically your replacing it.

Here is a general list I use

If its covered by paint (such as rain gutters, cowl to firewall and such) I've had success with 3M Firm and Fast though have had a few incidents where it cracked when applied too thick - but fix was quick and easy.

Between fender and inner fenders - 3M black strip chalking

Floor to rocker - places where the sealant will be visible when the car is finished - Sorry can't recall the name of the product (shot:( but will see if I have a tube at the shop. Its a black - no grit (no sand) elastomeric sealant in a chalking tube. Normally found in the roof repair area of Home Depot or one of those places

For sprayed on sealant either the Lord Fusor (expensive with the gun) or the stuff I've used for sound deadener (sprayed or worked with brush) Spectrum Sludge

From there you'll need to play with the product on some pieces of cardboard to see how it flows or doesn't until you get the desired results

Just what has worked for me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:53:14 PM by carlite65 »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)