Author Topic: Correct Seat Belts for an Early 65 Fastback with Standard Interior?  (Read 9235 times)

Offline blk65fstbk

I'm restoring an early (November 5, 1964) 1965 Mustang fastback with standard interior. It was built in Dearborn, MI and delivered to the Davenport, IA sales district.

My car was partially disassembled when I got it and it didn't come with any seat belts. It however appears that it only had them in the front. I want to install what would have been correct for the car. Can anybody help?

Thanks.
1965 Mustang Fastback
"A" Code 289 V8, 4 Speed Manual Toploader and 3.00:1 Locking Differential
Raven Black Exterior and Black Standard Interior
No PS, PB or A/C
Built November 5, 1964 in Dearborn, MI

Offline jwc66k

Re: Correct Seat Belts for an Early 65 Fastback with Standard Interior?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
Seat belts were mandatory for the front seats on all cars in 1965 and were installed by Ford on the assembly line. Rear belts were a dealer accessory in 1965. In 1966 front and rear belt were mandatory, in 1964 seat belts were optional.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
Front seatbelts weren't required by law in 65. If you look at an original window sticker you will se that there are 2 standard options that could be deleated when ordered- the heater and the seatbelts. My convertible was a seatbelt delete car.
  As for the original question you could have standard or delux front belts. Delux belts were a stand alone option.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »
Front seatbelts weren't required by law in 65.
I've been too long in California. Seat belts in 1965 were mandatory for DSO 71 and 72, California law (always the leader or something else).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:15:57 AM »

This has been an ongoing unanswered question for the last two months....  If there were deluxe belts in early '65 cars (64 and a half), What were they?  By the date 7/64, The Standard Plastic Seatbelts that we all know and love were all introduced.  Does anyone have any Standard Plastic Buckled belts dated before 7/64???

People say that the Metal hinged (snake skin pattern) chrome belts (which were around since '63 in other model Fords) and what is later known as colored (Black Blue, Red) Painted Metal hinged '65 "Deluxe Seatbelt" is/was the only Standard seatbelt in Early '65 ('64 1/2) Mustangs. At this rate, I do not know what to believe.. But as I said, I have not found any Plastic buckled belts dated before 7/64..

We should put some pictures of all the belts up so we can figure out the chronology of '64 1/2-'65 Seat belts since the early years have much confusion where seatbelts are concerned.

What is pretty much already well known is that Early '65 (64 1/2) cars had seatbelts anchors with Hook and Loop type anchors.  The confusion really comes in with the buckles, not so much with the anchors.

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
     These are the belts in my 5/65, San Jose, GT Fastback.  The left side/Deluxe are in the front.  The right side/standard are in the rear.   Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline steve_f

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »
My standard interior May '65 SJ GT fastback has the standard seat belts in the front and no belts in the back. There is also no indication that there ever were. As previously said, they were a dealer item. What I don't know is when the dealer did install them, did they cut the lower cushion to feed them through?  There are no seat belt slots in my original cushion.
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »

CORRECTION                                                                                                                                                                                                                              These are the belts in my 5/65, San Jose, GT Fastback.  The left side/Deluxe are in the front.  The rear fold down seat has no seat belts installed.   The right side/standard are an example of the other style buckle.    Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:58:49 PM »

Brian, I agree with your statement,  Deluxe Belt on the left, Standard Belt on the right according to your picture, However,  The confusion comes in with the "supposed" fact that the Deluxe Belt on the left that you have pictured was the "only" buckle type aside from the chromed "Snakeskin" similar hinged buckle type supposedly offered in the '64 1/2 Mustang.  Because of this, People are regarding the buckle on the left as the "Standard" '64 1/2 Standard Seatbelts, not Deluxe....And they may possibly be right.  See the confusion?  What we consider the "Deluxe" '65 Seatbelt buckle (Pictured on the left) may have been the only type Seat Belt Buckle offered in '64 1/2 Mustangs causing the "Standard/Deluxe" '64 1/2-'65 seat belt confusion.  As I said before, I cannot find any "Standard" Plastic Style Seatbelt Buckles (Pictured on the right) dated before 7/64.  So it's possible that what we know as the "Standard" Plastic Style Seatbelt buckle may not have introduced until 7/64 also causing some confusion... with the Hinged "Deluxe" type buckles only being offered in the first few months of 1964.

Ok, I think that I got that all right...lol...!

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 12:06:27 AM »

PS: I only know of two vendors of Early Mustang Seatbelts.... Robbins Jr. , and Hammill .  Hammill usually made the "Rotunda" marked belts, with both Hammill and Robbins Jr. making the "Ford" Oval marked belts.

I have seen the "Deluxe" type Buckle (pictured left) dated as early as 1963 in various months, but have never seen the "Standard" Plastic Buckle (Pictured Right) belt dated before 7/64 as I mentioned above.

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 03:02:53 PM »
...The confusion comes in with the "supposed" fact that the Deluxe Belt on the left that you have pictured was the "only" buckle type aside from the chromed "Snakeskin" similar hinged buckle type supposedly offered in the '64 1/2 Mustang.  Because of this, People are regarding the buckle on the left as the "Standard" '64 1/2 Standard Seatbelts, not Deluxe....And they may possibly be right.  See the confusion?  What we consider the "Deluxe" '65 Seatbelt buckle (Pictured on the left) may have been the only type Seat Belt Buckle offered in '64 1/2 Mustangs causing the "Standard/Deluxe" '64 1/2-'65 seat belt confusion.  As I said before, I cannot find any "Standard" Plastic Style Seatbelt Buckles (Pictured on the right) dated before 7/64.  So it's possible that what we know as the "Standard" Plastic Style Seatbelt buckle may not have introduced until 7/64 also causing some confusion... with the Hinged "Deluxe" type buckles only being offered in the first few months of 1964.

Tony, blk65fstbk - went through this about a year ago as well.  I have an Oct 64 SJ Fastback with standard interior and ran into the same confusion.  The situation quoted above seems match what I have learned so far as well. 

Our thread from a year ago is below for reference.  It contains pictures of the color-keyed vinyl split, chrome / alligator pattern split, and clamshell plastic buckles.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5769.msg32435#msg32435

So considering the comments in this thread & thread above, maybe this is the situation? 

1) 64 1/2 - standard belt - chrome split-type with alligator pattern
2) 64 1/2 - deluxe belt - ?  split-type with vinyl color keyed to the interior ?
3) 65 - standard belt - plastic clamshell type
4) 65 - deluxe belt - split-type with vinyl color keyed to the interior

Not sure on a 64 1/2 "deluxe" belt, as noted by someone else.  Also, the Dobbs & Farr book says the "deluxe" split belt was colored vinyl, not painted metal.  Can someone comment? 

Also, I dug out the set of standard black buckles I picked up for my car (below).  They are the plastic kind also with a date code of 7-64.  I checked my pics and didn't find any of this style dated before 7-64 either.  Now that you point it out, I'll keep an eye on the dates for ones like these.

Rich

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:08:40 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »
Split type buckles from other thread.  From "Mustang Recognition Guide" by Dobbs, Farr, Heasley, Kopec.
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 07:27:23 AM »
Mine, standard interior

13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 12:44:34 AM »

Rich, I agree with your complete assessment above with one exception.. I am not so sure that the early belts were vinyl covered, They always looked like they were "painted" in colors to try and match the doors and interior vinyl.  Not all belts were matching colors, some were just black of course..  Can anyone verify if the colored metal hinged belts are "painted" or covered vinyl?  I say that they are painted....At least it always looked that way to me.

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 02:32:15 AM »
This topic has great timing for me- I'm just about to get seat belts for my July build with 82 code interior. From the sounds of it, I guess I need to look for chrome snakeskin split buckles with medium blue webbing. Does anyone make a goor reproduction or should I be looking for good used?

Glenn