Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Is this a repo Autolite battery?

(1/3) > >>

10w30dna:
Cleaning out a shed and found this battery that I have had for a VERY long time. Can not remember where or when I got this. How do you tell a repo one from a real one? 

Brian Conway:
This one is a 2006 version.  Can't see the cells and the case is more plastic than tar.  Brian

Murf:
I write this in jest, so do not take offense.  Put this battery in your car and if it spews acid all over the underside of the hood and in the battery tray then it was a reproduction.  I had several of the reproduced Autolite batteries and most caused a lot of trouble.  Certainly many of you recall the  two happy days we had with those items - the day we got it and the day we threw it in the junk!

CharlesTurner:
From what I have heard, it wasn't necessarily a problem with the batteries, it was due to folks over-filling the cells and also with aftermarket voltage regulators over-charging the battery.

suskeenwiske:
I can't tell from the battery but one way to find out may be to determine when reproduction batteries first became available. If yours is older than that, it may be an indication that yours is an original.

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version