Author Topic: Tips for Cleaning and prepping for a car show.  (Read 5274 times)

Offline DKutz

Tips for Cleaning and prepping for a car show.
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:31:48 PM »
So as I ready my car to hit the show field.  I would love to hear what everyone else uses and processes used to prep their car for a show.  WHat type of cleaners for interior/engine/ext?  Any special tips??
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline Dudley

Re: Tips for Cleaning and prepping for a car show.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
With the variety of cleaners and waxes available, plus personal techniques each of us develops over time, this can be a very interesting topic and thread once it gets rolling.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline DKutz

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:43:13 PM »
Well I was thinking of special tricks like I have heard people using furniture polish ??  for parts of the car??
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:15:29 PM »
A commonly used "trick" is to use newspaper to clean the windows.  After using it to remove the wetness, take a dry sheet by itself to the window as a final cleaner. 

Another "trick" is to go front/back on one side of the side windows and up/down on the other side.  This allows you to determine which side of the window has the streak.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline DKutz

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »
OK so I am not getting replies....  How about this??

• What do you use for Tire Dressing?

What do you use to Clean Engine bay?

Cleaning Seats?

Window Cleaner?

Detailing Tools?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 12:51:05 PM by DKutz »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
What do you use for Tire Dressing?

Try not to use dressing on tires

What do you use to Clean Engine bay?

Usually use quick detail and a microfiber towel.

Cleaning Seats?

Vacuum out good, use quick detail spray.  Mineral spirits for small marks.

Window Cleaner?

The Griot's aerosol can with window cleaner is good, I use their glass cleaning towels.

Detailing Tools?

Horsehair brushes, several types, touch-up paints, cosmoline spray, boeshield, plenty of microfiber towels.

I like using Turtlewax Ice liquid polish on the whole exterior, rubber gaskets, glass and all.  Gives everything a little extra "newness".

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

priceless

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 09:02:57 PM »
Charles, On the very last sentence on your post you mention using "Turtlewax ICE liquid polish". I found this at our local auto parts store, I haven't bought it yet.
Is this what your talking about using on whole exterior with rubber gaskets, glass and all? It actually says "wax", not polish. But is this what your talking about?

We had the Mach1 painted 3 years ago with basecoat/clearcoat in Acapulco blue and I haven't done a thing to it since.
My painter, 3 years ago, said to use the 3M Perfect-It polishing compound when we were ready to use it for small scratches, etc, then follow up with any good wax/polish of our choice. He recommended a few (Meguiars, Turtlewax, etc,) but said it would be our choice.

I figure if the Turtle wax ICE liquid polish can be used on rubber, glass, etc, I would like to try it.
Also, can it be applied by hand and would it work on my '67 with acrylic enamel?

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:38:59 PM by priceless »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:58:50 PM »
No, that's not the same stuff.  The turtle wax ice that I use is a clear liquid that is applied to a foam pad and then wiped off with a microfiber towel.  It's called "liquid polish" on the bottle.

priceless

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »
Thanks for the response. Can't find it in my area, may have to order online. I would like to try it.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 12:45:36 AM »
Thanks for the response. Can't find it in my area, may have to order online. I would like to try it.

Seen some on ebay.  It works really well, I use it on my new(er) cars too.

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »
Well I was thinking of special tricks like I have heard people using furniture polish ??  for parts of the car??

You might have seen and met me mostly at the Silver Springs show in Florida where my friend and I routenly polish my Black '65 K GT Convertible with lemon Pledge........

My restorer told me and showed me about the use of pledge on parts of the engine compartment and underside of the car, so we deceided to try it on the paint.........really shines it up.....

Folks-Don't knock it until you try it!

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »
Window cleaner - Stoner's Invisible Glass, best window cleaner in my opinion, does not streak and can be found at any parts store or walmart.

My favorite car wax is Rejex, esp on dark cars, amazing shine/super slick and it last a really really long time. I waxed my black 2010 shelby about 10 months ago and it is still beading water like it had just been applied. I waxed our 66 Survivor Fastback 3 years ago with it and it is still great (granted car rarely gets driven but at car shows). It still looks so good I wont be waxing it for the 50th.

If you use it, it has to cure for 12 hours before the car can be in sunlight.

- http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-61002-Rejex-16oz-Bottle/dp/B0006V0LNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394458682&sr=8-1&keywords=Rejex
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:52:09 AM by AU SNK »
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 01:02:58 AM »
Window cleaner - Stoner's Invisible Glass, best window cleaner in my opinion, does not streak and can be found at any parts store or walmart.

My favorite car wax is Rejex, esp on dark cars, amazing shine/super slick and it last a really really long time. I waxed my black 2010 shelby about 10 months ago and it is still beading water like it had just been applied. I waxed our 66 Survivor Fastback 3 years ago with it and it is still great (granted car rarely gets driven but at car shows). It still looks so good I wont be waxing it for the 50th.

If you use it, it has to cure for 12 hours before the car can be in sunlight.

- http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-61002-Rejex-16oz-Bottle/dp/B0006V0LNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394458682&sr=8-1&keywords=Rejex
FYI most carnuba waxes will evaporate off the surface over time needing to be replenished even if not exposed to the elements.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »
FYI most carnuba waxes will evaporate off the surface over time needing to be replenished even if not exposed to the elements.

that is the good thing about Rejex, it is a synthetic  polymer coating
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »
Must be getting near show season for this older thread to spring back to life  ;D
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)