Author Topic: Very Early 1967 Wiper Foot Switch?  (Read 8200 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Very Early 1967 Wiper Foot Switch?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 04:24:35 PM »
I shoot most of these pieces so as not to get any glare.
Here is what it looks like if I let the light hit it.

Better?

I do paint things at different gloss levels so the parts don't get a monochromatic look.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »
It's good Bill. I think mine came out closer (a bit more shine) to the tone on my Service Replacement, which also matches the picture of my original before paint. It doesn't at all look "flat" black, so I'm sure it's a good "PASS".
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 10:35:14 PM »
I recreated the Ford wiring diagram in a more functional format.  I had to validate the switch functions with a meter, the Ford diagram is horrible.

Here is what I intended to be a easier to interpret schematic for the wiper system.  I hope this helps someone out.

This is shown in what I would consider normal state - wipers off, pump pedal not pushed, and wipers in the park position.

If you push the pump, power flows from 763 to 63 and out to the pump.  Into the pump on 63A and through the contact (closed when pedal pushed down) out 58A back to the switch.  At the switch connector it drops down 58 which is the low speed motor terminal.  The motor is grounded through the case, completing the circuit.

Chances are that the pump pedal will not be released at the precise time that the wipers are parked.  So in this case power flows from 763 to 63 and down to the motor assembly.  Through the park switch (when not parked) out wire 615A and over to the pump.  Then through the pump normally closed contact and out terminal 615.  To the switch we go into 615 and through the OFF contact of the wiper, flowing out terminal 58.  This will provide power to the low speed motor terminal, again grounded to the case.   Then the wipers hit the parked position, the park switch flips back to the state shown on the drawing which interrupts the power, stopping the motor in the proper (parked) position.

This is not for the weak hearted  8)
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 12:29:00 AM »
I recreated the Ford wiring diagram in a more functional format.  I had to validate the switch functions with a meter, the Ford diagram is horrible.

Here is what I intended to be a easier to interpret schematic for the wiper system.  I hope this helps someone out.

This is shown in what I would consider normal state - wipers off, pump pedal not pushed, and wipers in the park position.

If you push the pump, power flows from 763 to 63 and out to the pump.  Into the pump on 63A and through the contact (closed when pedal pushed down) out 58A back to the switch.  At the switch connector it drops down 58 which is the low speed motor terminal.  The motor is grounded through the case, completing the circuit.

Chances are that the pump pedal will not be released at the precise time that the wipers are parked.  So in this case power flows from 763 to 63 and down to the motor assembly.  Through the park switch (when not parked) out wire 615A and over to the pump.  Then through the pump normally closed contact and out terminal 615.  To the switch we go into 615 and through the OFF contact of the wiper, flowing out terminal 58.  This will provide power to the low speed motor terminal, again grounded to the case.   Then the wipers hit the parked position, the park switch flips back to the state shown on the drawing which interrupts the power, stopping the motor in the proper (parked) position.

Wow! I am impressed.
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 06:40:31 AM »
I recreated the Ford wiring diagram in a more functional format.  I had to validate the switch functions with a meter, the Ford diagram is horrible....

Your text and illustration threw me for a loop till I realized that circuits 28 and 28a were renamed 615 and 615a. Now I get it.

*on edit, strike-through added, this bench test has now been performed by me since what was stated in subsequent replies that it does not matter if those black wires were reversed, it has been confirmed on the bench that the reversal of the black wires at the switch, all works normal.
SUMMARY:
The answer as to whether or not IF it might make a difference IF the 'black wires' were reversed at the washer pump bulk connector is:
"YES, it would make a difference if the black wires were connected into the Washer Pump connector backwards by mistake and the results would be that washer pump would not activate the wipers combined with no other ill-effects of the normal operation of the windshield wipers when operated through the dash-mouned winshield wiper switch."

67gta289 (John), I call the circuit numbers "Tomatoes", you call them "Tomattoes". (I was using the schematic provided earlier in the thread, I understand you were using a different, larger "Electrical Manual" for your most recent revised, color schematic ~it all makes sense now).

*on edit, I spoke with 67gta298 about the schematic in a bit more detail outside of the thread ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:25:18 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »
NOW,

For the EARLY version with the individual connectors. Perhaps a little easier to sort if you have the picture of the color-coded connector ends AND an image of the paint daubs of an EARLY pump switch.
A person trying to perhaps splice an end or connector onto a harness would still have to revert to John's and/or Ford's schematic to sort any unmarked black wire(s) at the Washer Pump connections.
URL=http://s174.photobucket.com/user/CougarCJ/media/IMG_0899-1028_zps62f8ad46.jpg.html][/URL]

[/URL]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:47:51 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »
Your text and illustration threw me for a loop till I realized that circuits 28 and 28a were renamed 615 and 615a. Now I get it.

SUMMARY:
The answer as to whether or not IF it might make a difference IF the 'black wires' were reversed at the washer pump bulk connector is:
"YES, it would make a difference if the black wires were connected into the Washer Pump connector backwards by mistake and the results would be that washer pump would not activate the wipers combined with no other ill-effects of the normal operation of the windshield wipers when operated through the dash-mouned winshield wiper switch."

67gta289 (John), I call the circuit numbers "Tomatoes", you call them "Tomattoes". (I was using the schematic provided earlier in the thread, I understand you were using a different, larger "Electrical Manual" for your most recent revised, color schematic ~it all makes sense now).

*on edit, I spoke with 67gta298 about the schematic in a bit more detail outside of the thread ;)

I see what happened here.  There are (at least) two versions of the wiring diagrams.  The one I used that references the 615/615A circuit numbers is from the large 11x17 wiring book.  I noticed also that the 763 in that diagram is listed as orange (no stripe).  The other (probably older) diagram uses 28/28A instead of 615/615A, but there is no difference in color or function.  Don't know what that needed to be changed.  At least the drafter made a few bucks on the job.  The 763 in the earlier diagram is orange/white stripe, and that is what I have on my car.  Again no functional difference.

As far as black wire reversal, not the potential (haha) of reversing them, but the resulting effect, there would be none.  Either way, the normally closed contact is still between the two black wires.  Do you agree?

If we start flipping the blacks and the white and/or red, now we have a mess on our hands.

I'll take a stab at a troubleshooting guide next
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2019, 10:01:01 PM »
Here is something I put together quickly - did not even proof read, so if there are suggestions, errors, etc. let me know.  Hopefully this helps someone out someday.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2019, 05:54:08 AM »
As far as black wire reversal, not the potential (haha) of reversing them, but the resulting effect, there would be none.  Either way, the normally closed contact is still between the two black wires.  Do you agree?

If we start flipping the blacks and the white and/or red, now we have a mess on our hands.

I'll take a stab at a troubleshooting guide next

I like the troubleshooting guide. I am sure there could be countless other scenarios if wiring was improperly inserted into any of the hard plastic connectors but if a person has the wiring connections correct, it is a good guide for the more likely issues that may occur.

I have since tried an experiment regarding the switching of the two black wires and  because your conclusions, I amended my previous reply which stated it would result in "no motor function" if they were reversed. These results also NOW CONFIRMED from a real-world bench test that the wipers will indeed function regardless which order the black wires are connected at the pump switch (as long as they are only reversed in the connector, per the wiring schematics).

I bow down to your research, prowess and findings, my electrical engineer friend ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:41:49 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2019, 07:41:37 PM »
It should be noted that if you remove the wiper foot switch your wipers will never park.
When you remove (and intend to keep the foot switch out) you need to jump the two black wires at the foot switch plug with a male-to-male spade connector and a short length of wire.

The easiest way to test these things is to get a junk harness and remove the wiper system plugs and wires. All but the 12V lead are already split out within the main harness. You just have to pull them out.

Here, orange is 12v, case of wiper motor is ground, white is the foot switch jumper. Not only does it test out the switch and motor, but resets the wiper to park.

Yes, I realize you have to have a known good switch ...

A friend had a new repro harness and his wipers never did work. It was fairly short work to figure out he had connector plug issues. The originals have plugs in which you can pull out the wires. The repros are molded.
We simply pulled his old harness from the shed, pulled out the old wiper wires/plugs, wrapped them in harness tape and abandoned the repro part of the wiper circuit.
Somewhat like the early cars have a separate wiper harness, so does his!
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion