Author Topic: Is this gap acceptable?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Ivygreen65

Is this gap acceptable?
« on: March 06, 2010, 06:21:02 PM »
I just got the convertible back home from paint.  I'm concerned about the gap between the bottom of the grill support / headlight buckets and the top of the stone deflector.  It seems too large of a gap, but I would like to get opinions as to what is acceptable on the show field.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Is this gap acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
Lots of variables here....some say the early cars were built/assembled poorly and were not always panel gap perfect and should be restored that way.
From what I can see of your car I think the hood is just a bit high on the passengers side and lowering it might just close the gap enough for you.
My '65 Convertible's left rear quarter extension/trunk lid have almost a 1/4" gap between them at the rear-most leading edge which I hate-I understand that the quarter extensions may be the culpret in my situation and have been advised to trial fit others to see if one can be fitted better.
My left headlight door doesn't line up quite right to the fender either and again I have been told to try other doors to see if one will fit better.
Do you have some other pictures/angles of yours? I hope I've shed some light on this for you.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:36:31 PM »
I don't know if this will help, but here are some pics of an all original sheet metal '65 Dearborn car I put together about 5 years ago.  Front bumper is also the original that was re-chromed:

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/6_20/
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Coupey

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:48:52 PM »
To me it doesn't look that bad but if you could get the headlight bucket down alittle it would close the bottom gap and allow your hood to also come down some too.If you look at the blue car the bottom gap is not as wide between the upper stone guard and headlight bucket.

Offline classicdoug

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
I think it's probably ok.  I agree the hood could come down a little, but I don't think you can move the headlight bucket down.  The headlight door seems to line up good with the top of the fender and looks to line up great with the headlight bucket at the "gill" area.  Maybe you could move the stone deflector up a little where it bolts to the radiator support, but that may cause other problems, such as it looking like it is not level.

Doug

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
I have not done a final fit on the hood yet, because I have to re-finish one of the hood hinges.  We only got it close when we put it on.

I can't really move the headlight bucket down, because I have the door lined up on the fender.  If I try to move the stone deflector up, it won't match the body line on the fender.  Therefore, I'm not really sure whether to try to move things or not.

Thanks to all for the opinions.

Offline Coupey

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »
I guess the headlight bucket goes on one way and that is it so i would just go with it and fix your hood  hinge