Author Topic: Wire harness question  (Read 915 times)

Offline Angela

Wire harness question
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:24:58 PM »
I need help figuring out what a particular wire connector is intended for under the dash of my 67. I have literally misplaced my camera, else I would post a pic. The connector in question has THREE female openings molded into one rubber socket, with two blue/red-stripe wires exiting the connector. This connector exits the main under dash harness behind the cig lighter and lays very close to the radio feed plug. I have no idea what this harness is for. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Offline jwc66k

Re: Wire harness question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »
It's for extra dimmed lights. That color combination goes to the radio and instrument cluster via a 2.5A fuse.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:40:03 PM »
Can you elaborate on "extra dimmed lights"? Meaning, a std AM radio would not use this 3-prong connector? It's my understanding that all of the lights in the cluster are powered through the cluster harness, not from this 3-outlet connector. I appreciate your response yet still don't understand.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
It's for accessories that use the signal for the dash lamps, typically in the console area although the console use full power.  The radio plug has its own dash lamp wire along with radio power. 

The three-prong plug you're discussing is often not used.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com