Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Battery Rebuild Writeup

<< < (3/8) > >>

roddster:
  I have a gutted 68 group 22 battery.    The bottom is cut out and cables are attached to the bottom of the old posts.  A Mazda Miata battery fits ip inside it.  Starts my 289 HiPo just fine.

sgl66:
I'm considering converting an old group 24 and wanted to check if Miata, lawn tractor or other style batteries have been proven over time to perform better or worse than others?

Thanks in advance

rockhouse66:
I recently converted a Gr. 27 with one of these Harley batteries.  It is too tall for the case by a small amount, so I cut a hole in the bottom just large enough for the battery and glued a piece of Masonite to the bottom.  Removal of the thickness of the case bottom was just enough to fit the battery.  I can't say for certain that it actually performs better than a wheel chair battery but it has better specs and is designed for automotive type service.  The link is typical of these - there are several brands.  Probably all made by the same Chinese factory.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-mtx-30l-mega-crank-30l-battery.html

Bob Gaines:
FYI I haven't seen the battery inside a battery successfully used on a big block application for other then a show car application.If someone was planning on this as a alternative to buying a reproduction battery for other then show applications expect limitations. Regardless of the hidden battery they don't typically have the capacity when used to start a hot big block in a driven application. You can get this to work for a small block for most situations as long as you don't have expectations that it will work as good as a regular 24 in a heavy duty situation/occurrence. Good alternative if you have realistic expectations.

Bossbill:
I run Deka batteries in the race car. A very reliable "dry" mat battery that comes in a great number of sizes/CCAs.
In the last 8 years I've only replaced one due to my error of leaving the transponder on for 4 months!

If I remember to turn the master switch off it will crank my engine after many months of sitting inside
a car trailer without a charger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version