1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

headlight extension wire

<< < (2/6) > >>

ceggar:
Thanks for the info. Just something else to confuss us or at least me!

ruppstang:
In any case the color you choose should match the other half of the plug on the under the hood harness.
Marty

Bossbill:
==> car in question is my 67 SJ Fastback in Sig <==

As I was painfully cleaning each and every wire that's visible in my main front lighting (and other stuff like regulator, horns, turn signals, etc) wire harness and re-wrapping it to boot, I noticed that the red headlight connectors were stained from years of being in contact with undercoating. I couldn't remove the stains. I decided I needed a vinyl/rubber/plastic paint to remedy things.

In a HD run I went to my favorite spray paint section (Rust-oleum) and bought a few reds whose cap was close to my headlight harness red plug.

I ended up with Rustoleum Colonial Red Satin 249082 as shown in the attached pic. This paint is plastic rated and the plug remained flexible after painting (and clear) without cracking.

Cleaning the harness plug is mandatory and use a real aggressive reducer (not paint thinner). Allow all of the reducer to outgas or put the plug under a heat lamp to dry it.
Tape off the wires and apply a really thin coat. It should take little paint. It covered my black stains with only a light coat. Light is better so that the paint doesn't crack on install.

The plug here was deemed to be a bit shiny (even being a satin), so a light mist coat of Rust-oleum "Matte Clear Enamel" 285093 toned it down a bit.

Great looking plugs are mine!

427Fastback:
I have been told that the brown ones were 67 and the red 68 but I don't believe its that simple.I have wrecked numerous 67's and I believe I only have 1 brown harness all the rest (6or8) are red.The majority of the cars I stripped were SJ cars.I would tend to believe its a vendor thing....JMO

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 427Fastback on December 04, 2017, 03:56:35 PM ---I have been told that the brown ones were 67 and the red 68 but I don't believe its that simple.I have wrecked numerous 67's and I believe I only have 1 brown harness all the rest (6or8) are red.The majority of the cars I stripped were SJ cars.I would tend to believe its a vendor thing....JMO

--- End quote ---
I believe you were told wrong. Both brown and red were used in 67 at SJ at least. I would be surprised if the other plants didn't followed the trend . The extension should match the color of plug on the headlight harness. I do suspect a vendor issue but have only noticed the red variation on the later produced 67 cars. For 68 I have only seen the brown color plug.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version