Author Topic: Exhaust System  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Exhaust System
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:22:45 PM »
Trying to decide where I want to get my exhaust system from. I've been reading up on Scott Fuller Reproduction exhausts and from what I understand his systems are the best looking and best fitting you can get. I put a transverse style dual exhaust on my car 15 years ago and my muffler man said it was like fighting a bear to get on, this was one I got from NPD. I always had an exhaust leak where the pipes connected to the muffler, after awhile I had my muffler man weld the pipes to the muffler, didn't look too good and fumes were always coming through the floor, welds eventually broke.

Now, for a "concours" driven car, would it be worth the extra dollar amount to get a Scott Fuller exhaust system? I have never seen one but his website is informative. I do not think he has the muffler available and possibly the H pipe but they should be available soon.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Exhaust System
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:27:02 AM »
Just put on a Fuller system on a 69 small block and working from front to rear they system went together allot easier than the repo systems I've installed in the past.

Did use a nylon strap with a ratchet to help hold some of the pipes in place (together) tightly and we slipped it together and tightened everything into place

Just my recent experience
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »
John: Since your car did not originally have dual exhaust, just about anything could be considered "correct" if you play the dealer-installed card for judging.  Although, you could potentially lose most of the points for exhaust, no matter if it is factory-correct or regular muffler shop duals.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:36:01 AM »
I understand about the possibility of losing points for having dual exhaust, really don't want to return to single exhaust. I guess if my car came with dual exhaust it would be worth spending the extra cost for a more accurate and fitting reproduction system. The transverse muffler system looks nicer to me than 2 side by side muffler type systems.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:46:11 AM »
If you're asking about which exhaust is the best quality, Scott's would hands-down be the choice.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Same answer I gave you over on SAAC forum  ;)
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America