Author Topic: control valve on power steering  (Read 3029 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

control valve on power steering
« on: August 22, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »
I need to replace the control valve on my car, what is the word on the new unit I belief is made by Flaming River. Is it a good unit, how close is to real ford part. I have a spare that is still attached to a car I would like to leave on ( can't move the car when it is removed ). Who does concours retos on these units. If the new unit will fool 75% of people, it might work. Input is greatly needed. The year is 1969.
Thanks Chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: control valve on power steering
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:32:53 AM »
I need to replace the control valve on my car, what is the word on the new unit I belief is made by Flaming River. Is it a good unit, how close is to real ford part. I have a spare that is still attached to a car I would like to leave on ( can't move the car when it is removed ). Who does concours retos on these units. If the new unit will fool 75% of people, it might work. Input is greatly needed. The year is 1969.

Number of places will rebuild these - you will have to check (from other members) how happy they were with the service of each. Rodes and Power Brake Exchange - San Jose Ca come to mind. Had Power Brake do a 71 intergrated steering box last year and was happy with the service. Don't know if any one is doing restored ones just rebuilding so you might consider that. Not everything with restoring includes prepared parts that just show up on your door step - ready to just bolt one ;)

Must say 75% is a pretty low standard for a restoration guess this is not going to be a show car

Hopefully some other members can provide their experiences and maybe someone that is turning out better than your other option
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:31:25 AM »
Number of places will rebuild these - you will have to check (from other members) how happy they were with the service of each. Rodes and Power Brake Exchange - San Jose Ca come to mind. Had Power Brake do a 71 intergrated steering box last year and was happy with the service. Don't know if any one is doing restored ones just rebuilding so you might consider that. Not everything with restoring includes prepared parts that just show up on your door step - ready to just bolt one ;)

Must say 75% is a pretty low standard for a restoration guess this is not going to be a show car
Hopefully some other members can provide their experiences and maybe someone that is turning out better than your other option
+1 . I do not think you will be happy if originality is concerned. I have also heard of a number of less then satisfaction experiences with the flaming river repro control valve. As easy as it is to get a original rebuilt It is only prudent to get a original rebuilt if you are in the least concerned about original look. Just my opinion for what it is worth.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
The longer I am in this hobby the more that I realize you just can not do better than using original Ford parts. If you are building a modified car then that is a different story. I have used Rodes and have been pleased both with the work and the service.
Marty

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
I am doing a concours resto. I used 75% to not sound too rude. I had Rodes do some work for me, they work fine but cosmetically they could have been better. I was hoping to find someone who has had a concours rebuild and was happy. At least with the new unit it looks it. Every piece on my will look new. Am I better off detail the parts before it is sent off?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 11:54:03 PM »
I am doing a concours resto. I used 75% to not sound too rude. I had Rodes do some work for me, they work fine but cosmetically they could have been better. I was hoping to find someone who has had a concours rebuild and was happy. At least with the new unit it looks it. Every piece on my will look new. Am I better off detail the parts before it is sent off?
Typically the rebuilders sell to people wanting the unit to work properly and aren't to concerned or are not aware of what a new one looks like . Also the people they sell to typically do not want to pay the dollars extra it would cost to do a control valve that was concours ready. Many rebuilders don't even know themselves what a assemblyline correct one looks like. You may have to take what they give you and detail it correctly yourself or give instructions to not paint parts when rebuilding etc.or detail the part before it goes out. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »
..................You may have to take what they give you and detail it correctly yourself or give instructions to not paint parts when rebuilding etc.or detail the part before it goes out.

I'm voting for #1 ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
Let me also chime in here and mention Chockostang. I've used them several times in the past, and they've always been honest and have done great work.  I gave Dan the build date of my Mach 1, and he was able to find a power steering ram that was dated correctly for the car.  They're always just a phone call away, whether you need parts or advice.  Dan and Carol are great people.   :)

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
I guess my main question is lost in my first message. Is there a correct style bulb, etch or cast for 1969? Was there a time line for etch style bulbs or cast style bulbs? Or did they have both styles out at the same time. I was joking about the back of the bulb. The longer I am on this forum the more you will see my humor come out, I want to make people laugh.