Author Topic: Autolite Spark Plug Variations  (Read 1549 times)

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
Autolite Spark Plug Variations
« on: November 03, 2014, 06:13:47 PM »
Looking for info on the different versions of Autolite spark plugs shown in the photo below. I'm most interested in the middle version which is identical to the star logo version except the star logo is missing from the porcelain. I have seen the same three types in BF-42's as well.

Is the production time frame for the different versions known? I know it has been discussed that the star logo plugs were used up to about 1968(?), I assume the middle version in the photo to be a transition style before the powertip versions came out.

Anyone know when the powertip version came out? I'd like to know the production window for the middle non-star logo, non-powertip version...

Thanks,
Dave

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:08:01 PM by s2ms »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Autolite Spark Plug Variations
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:53:22 PM »
I've heard for years the year 68 quoted for the change over (no specific month)   

Think we'ld have to dig through a bunhc of stuff to retrace the investigation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Though not a fool proof system that might help would be to look through all of the Shop tips and document either through descriptions, and illustrations the changes shown there since each issue is dated by month. Though it might not be exact the information collected they may work in concert with other sources. Real hard to figure out things, without a written description from Ford/Autolite - smoking gun ;) since few if any of us kept record of what spark plugs originally came out of what original car we may have seen or owned 50 years ago

Just a thought and possible lead for your search

Here is an example from 1970. It is for small engines - just an example of what is out there . As mentioned there are some down sides for using sales ads for this sort of research - one being that they show replacement rather than assembly line pieces

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:54:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »
Great idea, thanks Jeff!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:13:05 PM »
Great idea, thanks Jeff!

Just reaching - Guess that there was likely a AUTOLITE internal document that explained all of these details. Problem is that if it didn't have pictures most of the document collectors in the 70-80's would not have kept it/them :(
Jeff Speegle