Author Topic: Taking a closer look at '66 GT K-code  (Read 18299 times)

CobraSpeed

Taking a closer look at '66 GT K-code
« on: November 16, 2014, 09:20:41 PM »
NOTE: Original poster removed their first post but thread was left since it got allot of responses, has information still worthy of sharing and may help others in evaluating (in general) purchases in the future
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:13:26 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline sgl66

Re: Taking a closer look at '66 GT K-code
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:45:38 PM »
At 2:02 of the 3rd video, are those staple holes? Game over?

Car looks nice but loaded with repo parts...many not installed correctly....or even correct.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:54:16 AM »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:10:11 AM »
Looks like floor panel grafted in which would explain dual exhaust brake line however exhaust is not hung correct for a factory dual exhaust car...it's not obvious if you don't know ;)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:51:44 PM by sgibbs »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »
The spare tire wing nut is incorrect. Looks like the repo that being used.

Offline hopeto

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »
Several parts/pieces look like they were severely rusted/pitted then sand blasted and painted. The pits are still there.
+1 on everyone's comments - LOTS of RED Flags.
One example is the horn mounting brackets:
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline hopeto

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
Some of the Hipo specific body features are even mimicked, both incorrectly. I don't want to write an FAQ for fraudsters so I'm leaving out the fine details.
+1 - close, but NO cigar!
Is door data plate original or reproduction?
I do think the door plate is an original based on the axle code being off center and not "perfect" like the repops.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline zray

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 10:12:53 AM »
Several parts/pieces look like they were severely rusted/pitted then sand blasted and painted. The pits are still there.
+1 on everyone's comments - LOTS of RED Flags.

I certainly don't take exception to your observations.  There's a lot on this car that could've been done better. But let's step back for a minute away from planet perfect to planet reality. Exactly how much money  do you sink  into a coupe, K code or not, before its time to stop ?

Yes,  some of the work is crap.  Yes, it's possile that the inner apron with the VIN  has been  replaced and restamped. Even if the price were right , any buyer would want to check the hidden VINs, not just on this car, but ANY car.

Yes there are reproduction parts everywhere,. That can't really be a surprise these days.  Possibly 1 member out of 100 on this forum has a car with zero reproduction parts, and that's being generous.  The supply of NOS parts is not infinate, nor makes financial sense to load down a coupe with them, except as a statement of what can be done when money is no object .

But clearly, this car was not restored to the level of quality that is acceptable to most of us on this forum. Not surprising, as we are pretty darn particular. If I was trying to sell this car on eBay, or anywhere else, I'd be  sure to point out the shortcomings before anyone else could.

Z

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:22:08 AM by zray »
Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »
 +1 zray... well said.  I will also say that perhaps the radiator support was replaced with one from a six cylinder car,, one that had the staple holes. I had to replace my rad support on my 64 1/2 with a correct "vented" one because the PO was backed into by a truck and had swapped it out for a more common 66' style. I had to replace all those specific 64 1/2 parts that took me sometime to track down-- beveled headlight buckets, early hood, rad support,etc.. You just never know the cars history. I guess either way, correct or not, someone will be paying for that door tag and title! Looks to be a great driver.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »
It's certainly eye-catching, but there are definitely some things that stand out.  Shouldn't the grille be blacked out for a GT? 
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 11:57:25 AM »
It's certainly eye-catching, but there are definitely some things that stand out.  Shouldn't the grille be blacked out for a GT?

yes. the most notiecable thing was the undercarriage paint treatment. too neat.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
+1 zray... well said.  I will also say that perhaps the radiator support was replaced with one from a six cylinder car,, one that had the staple holes. I had to replace my rad support on my 64 1/2 with a correct "vented" one because the PO was backed into by a truck and had swapped it out for a more common 66' style. I had to replace all those specific 64 1/2 parts that took me sometime to track down-- beveled headlight buckets, early hood, rad support,etc.. You just never know the cars history. I guess either way, correct or not, someone will be paying for that door tag and title! Looks to be a great driver.
It is a distinct possibility that a radiator support was put in based on the fact that so much else was replaced too. Based on the level of workmanship skill seen elsewhere it should be relatively easy to determine if the radiator support had been replaced or not ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »
Is the red primer undercarriage incorrect for a '66 Dearborn?

I believe so plus the black paint on just the framerails definitely isn't correct.
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »
Here's my gripe sheet, not in any particular order - (comments in parenthesis)
- Rear drum blackout for Style Steel Wheels (sometimes omitted if dealer added wheels)
- Pinch weld blackout
- (Front license plate but no rear?)
- LH shock tower nut should be -S8, as well as the studs
- Fuel line bracket not painted blue
- Fuel line clip should be -S2
- Wrong fuel pump
- Radiator overflow tube should be black hose (ribbed?)
- Exhaust manifold should be Ramp-Lok based on assembly date of 19 Mar 66 (change over 1 Dec 65)
- Plug wires not factory
- By-pass hose and clamps should be painted blue
- Distributor clamp should be natural (-S2?)
- Distributor clamp bolt should be -S8
- Stud on carburetor for air cleaner incorrect
- Choke mechanism on carburetor not correct
- Distributor date code is 20 Oct 65, car is 19 Mar 66
- Painted screw(s) on door for latch (should be -S8)
- Bolt on door not painted body color
- ? Metal retainer on door courtesy light switch (white plastic)
- Clamp missing at resonator to exhaust tip
- Rear springs should be darker as in heat treated
- Wrong bolts at rear resonator hanger (too long)
- Frame rails (4) should be primerede, not painted black
- Bolts on trunk lid hinge (4) should be body color
- ? Seat belt warning light without retractors
- Grill not blacked out for GT option
- Bolts (a few) on water pump not correct
- Teflon tape on manifold outlet to heater
- Teflon tape on temperature sensor
There's probably more.
With the exception of the fuel pump, everything else looks like it can be fixed easily. The carburetor may or may not be correct, check with the HP Forum.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 65,66,67UNRESTORED

Radiator Support
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »
 I have a one owner original paint 1965 C code fastback that has the same holes in the radiator support. Being that my car has NEVER been painted and  that I've been in the collision business  and Mustang hobby for more than 30 years it's possible this radiator support is original to this car. Also, the factory installed a coupe B pillar on the right side of my fastback and then leaded the area where the vent window would have been. Remember, how many Mustangs did Ford sell by the 66 model year ? Most are the same but there are variations.
65 Fastback unrestored survivor Ivy Green, Black Interior, C code, 4speed, A/C
65 K Fastback unrestored survivor Ivy Green, Palomino Interior
65 Coupe unrestored Caspian Blue, White Vinyl Top, Blue Interior, K code
66 Convertible unrestored survivor Raven Black, Red Deluxe Interior, C code, A/C