Author Topic: '65-66, Tape on Heater Blower Motor  (Read 3232 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'65-66, Tape on Heater Blower Motor
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Hi guys, I saw this ad on the VMF for a new old stock '65-66 heater box.  I noticed the tape on the blower motor housing, and I wondered what the purpose of that was?  Was the blower motor taped on all factory heater-equipped cars?  And finally, is that the correct kind of tape that should be used?  Thanks--not affiliated with this guy's ad in any way, just wanted to know about the tape issue.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/1964-1-2-through-1966-mustang-parts-sale/775954-nos-1964-1966-mustang-shelby-heater-box-assy.html
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gta289

Re: '65-66, Tape on Heater Blower Motor
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »
If you search the threads you will see this discussed, but in short the tape was used to hold the blower motor harness close to the motor, to make sure that it ends up on the correct side of the firewall and prevent damage during installation from the inside.  Once through the firewall, the worker would grab the wiring and rip through the tape, leaving the remains.  Since I've done some stage work, I know this as "gaffer's tape".  Available in a lot of places. Here is one source: http://www.deadnutson.com/catalog/item/2965331/8977630.htm

To me that picture is wrong because (1) the wires are not under the tape, or (2) the tape is not ripped.  Most likely if this were a service part, there would be no need for the tape at all.  Maybe added to make a better story?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:48:07 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
I've always thought the tape was there to weather-seal the seam where the 2 parts of the motor come together.  It was more like masking tape, not gaffer's/cloth.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »
........... It was more like masking tape, not gaffer's/cloth.

+1  Paper based with no fiber is what I've found through the years on originals and on early service replacements. Have "unwrapped" the tape and that is what I've always found. Product can often be found wrinkled as one would expect for a paper based product

On originals you can often see the tan/pale white look of regular masking tape and adhesive still there as the outer painted surfaces have worn with time

Some original examples - have plenty ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:09:15 AM »
Very interesting.  Maybe the ones I've seen that were torn was due to work done in the area, exposure, and time.  Come to think of the gaffer's tape, now that I think of it, that does not have the staying power that would last years like some of the examples we have seen.

Update - I went back and looked through 100 pictures and have to eat crow - can't find any evidence of the tape used to hold the wire in place during installation.  Not sure where I picked that up, and stand corrected.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:33:09 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 03:03:33 PM »
Update - I went back and looked through 100 pictures and have to eat crow - can't find any evidence of the tape used to hold the wire in place during installation.  Not sure where I picked that up, and stand corrected.

No crow-eating necessary, lol.  I still learn new things with these cars, even after 25 years of restoration/judging/research...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »

Have seen some where the tape was torn - but only on some. Think at points in the past that lead to some thinking that it was used for that purpose.  That is the communities understanding comes from - an offer of a possibility and a confirmation or non agreement based on other facts and input

We would not get far if we only talked to our self and never tested the current understand. Hopefully respectfully and with an open mind ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)