Author Topic: Alternator Ink Stamp Discussion  (Read 10560 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Alternator Ink Stamp Discussion
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 11:08:15 PM »
Prices are pretty healthy also if you consider the shipping also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 11:18:11 PM »
I built a '66 GT350 clone so my understanding is that I'm looking for an Autolite stamp with C6AF-10300-D; however, I'd be willing to settle for any stamp/decal that's correct in appearance and begins with C6AF-10300. The last letter designating which engine doesn't matter as much to me.
'66 GT350 Tribute built from ground-up over 12 years and finally being driven!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 11:33:24 PM »
Since your not concerned about being original nor correct looks like the close enough ebay one will meet your expectations.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 12:46:08 AM »
I do care about the appearance of the stamp as that's the most noticeable aspect. I'd like to find the most accurate '66 alternator stamp I can, including the last letter. However, I was trying to be as open as I could to see what options I had. So I'll pickup the eBay stamp if that's all that's available but if anyone has the stamp with the correct font/design as the original, I'd love to buy/borrow it from you.

Thanks!
Brent

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 12:49:49 AM »
I made this comparison picture. The top photo is the stamp commonly being sold on eBay whereas the bottom picture is from DeadNutsOn. The differences side-by-side are very noticeable.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 01:39:09 AM »
I do care about the appearance of the stamp as that's the most noticeable aspect. I'd like to find the most accurate '66 alternator stamp I can, including the last letter. However, I was trying to be as open as I could to see what options I had. So I'll pickup the eBay stamp if that's all that's available but if anyone has the stamp with the correct font/design as the original, I'd love to buy/borrow it from you.

You mentioned that you had a "modern"  alternator. If the case (front or back half) are different from original I would think those are nor noticeable than the stamp since it was typically applied to the bottom out of view
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 02:38:08 AM »
I should've been more specific. I have a correct appearing '66 alternator but with modern internal components.

Any chance anyone could recommend the proper paint/ink to match the original stamping color? Thanks again!

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 02:40:14 AM »
You mentioned that you had a "modern"  alternator. If the case (front or back half) are different from original I would think those are nor noticeable than the stamp since it was typically applied to the bottom out of view

Just to clarify, are the stampings DeadNutsOn uses correct? Because their alternators appear to have two Autolite stamps, which make it very visible from above.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 02:43:09 AM »
IMHO dual stamping was an oddity found on a few originals. I think that often owners want to show off and since they are spending allot of money to have one restored and stamped they want others to see the stamping. I've never stamped or had stamped on on the top since since it just has not matched with all the originals I've seen and have pictures of so I go with one stamp only - on the bottom of the back case. I've never found one with a double stamp though I have been shown a picture once.

My school of thought is that if you can document an oddity or non-typical detail on your car then you may choose to reproduce it. If your car didn't or you have no documentation of the detail,  then it is best for you and the hobby to reproduce what was typically practiced for cars like yours since repeating oddities make them appear more predominate than they were

Have used a Kryon spray paint product but can't recall the specific color this moment or have a can on the shelf to get the color or code from
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:47:47 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
+1 on double stamp.  Even if I have one rebuilt and it comes with the stamp on top, I wipe it off with lacquer thinner.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
IMHO dual stamping was an oddity found on a few originals. I think that often owners want to show off and since they are spending allot of money to have one restored and stamped they want others to see the stamping. I've never stamped or had stamped on on the top since since it just has not matched with all the originals I've seen and have pictures of so I go with one stamp only - on the bottom of the back case. I've never found one with a double stamp though I have been shown a picture once.

My school of thought is that if you can document an oddity or non-typical detail on your car then you may choose to reproduce it. If your car didn't or you have no documentation of the detail,  then it is best for you and the hobby to reproduce what was typically practiced for cars like yours since repeating oddities make them appear more predominate than they were

Have used a Kryon spray paint product but can't recall the specific color this moment or have a can on the shelf to get the color or code from
Safety orange works well.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 12:55:26 PM »
1967 Alternator.

- was only ink stamped (different colour depending version)?
(in my case red and 42 or 55, AC and power steering)
- ink stamped AND engineering number casted?

Thank you for clarification.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:36:36 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 02:31:30 PM »
1967 Alternator.

- was only ink stamped (different colour depending version)?
(in my case red and 42 or 55, AC and power steering)
- ink stamped AND engineering number casted?

Ink stamp was the only form of identification for the application in 67.  The aluminum halves may have had casting numbers that identified the maker and the mold numbers but those don't help identify the application.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
Thx Jeff.

Is there an inked stamped date code been used that time as well?
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 05:35:55 PM »
Is there an inked stamped date code been used that time as well?

Have seen them stamped with one or even two different date stamps during 67 and 68 production. One on the c and one on the rear case during this period. Ink is a dark color for both

Often an inspector or assemblers mark is also found

Going to separate this last few post to a new thread ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:43:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle