Author Topic: Top boot bag material?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Murf

Top boot bag material?
« on: February 09, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
In 1977 I purchased a 65 1 owner convertible and it contained a bag for storage of the top boot.  It is made of the same material as the convertible top and of two halves stitched together .  I have always thought this was done by Ford at the time the vehicle was produced in Dearborn during the last part of March 65 (scheduled build date March 17, 65) but it has been a curiosity.  I have always hung onto it but never had the occasion to ask if others have seen or heard of a boot bag like this.  It is black top material, 27 x 17 inches, open at one end and the outside of the bag is what would have been the underside of the top, the inside is what would have been the slick or outside of the top.  Has anyone seen one of these or does anyone have one in an original car?
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Top boot bag material?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »
I have not personally seen an original boot bag made out of convertible top material, but know that some other folks have and there were some made.  The style I am used to seeing is either regular sierra grain black vinyl or made out of black vinyl top material.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:35:18 PM »
I have not personally seen an original boot bag made out of convertible top material, but know that some other folks have and there were some made.  The style I am used to seeing is either regular sierra grain black vinyl or made out of black vinyl top material.
I have and seen both convertible top material and vinyl top material . With that said the examples I have seen were mainly 67-70 versions. Also it seemed that there was predominantly more of one type then another depending on the plant.   I suspect 65/66 were similar but not for sure.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:20:52 PM »
Thanks for your comments.  If anyone needs or wants this bag you can have it for the shipping.  I have hoarded it for too many years but since it is a part of Mustang production hate to toss it. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior

Offline Murf

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
Bag has been shipped to another member.
John Murphy