Author Topic: 1967 FE four speed speedometer cable routing help.  (Read 9782 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 FE four speed speedometer cable routing help.
« on: March 10, 2015, 02:40:23 PM »
Hello, I am new to the forum, but could use some help with a couple pictures. I need a picture of the speedometer cable clip closest to the accelerator bellcrank on the firewall if someone would be so kind. There seems to be more than one style clip and I am trying to make a determination as to which is correct for a SJ Dec 66 build.
                                                                          Kindest Regards,
                                                                                          -Keith
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:21:14 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: 1967 FE four speed speedometer cable routing help.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »
Not sure where your car was built, or if that makes a difference....but here is a picture that may help.  The view is from the driver's side front wheel area.  The rear fender apron has been removed.  You can see the speedometer cable routing and the clip.  Please note, my car is a 3sp manual, which is routed over to the passenger side of the transmission.  Just ignore that rust!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »
Picture attached!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
That is the little bastage. It appears the listing in the catalogs are incorrect. NPD and West Coast Cougar show a formed clip that is much different. The pictures I have been provided only show this style clip on '69 four speed vehicles. So that now removes the mystery from the equation. I have been posting for this on the SAAC site, where you would think being there are a lot more four speed cars than automatics, that it would be something easy to post from their own vehicle. Thank you for the assistance in confirming what was removed 30 years ago.
                                                                                                  -Keith

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »
Well, I now have the Part and it's part number.  371992-S32, which morphs to a 371992S, which was replaced in zinc Vs the S32 finish, which would have been olive drab paint.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »
I have been posting for this on the SAAC site, where you would think being there are a lot more four speed cars than automatics, that it would be something easy to post from their own vehicle.

Remember/consider that allot of the Shelbys have already been "restored" once or twice and often are missing the little stuff ;)

Well, I now have the Part and it's part number.  371992-S32, which morphs to a 371992S, which was replaced in zinc Vs the S32 finish, which would have been olive drab paint.

Are you describing the mounting hardware or the clip/retainer?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:06:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »
Are you describing the mounting hardware or the clip/retainer?
I am referencing the J clip that attaches to the bottom bolt on the accelerator pedal bracket in the engine compartment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
I am referencing the J clip that attaches to the bottom bolt on the accelerator pedal bracket in the engine compartment.

Will look some more - can't recall ever seeing a mounting bracket or retainer in olive drab. Believe the retaining clips for like studs in that finish don't look painted - guess I should put some stripper on one and see if it lifts
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 03:55:58 PM »
That clip would be exposed to exhaust heat constantly as well. I thought it a strange choice of finish considering the location as well.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
That clip would be exposed to exhaust heat constantly as well. I thought it a strange choice of finish considering the location as well.

What reference gave you that finish?  Wasn't one of the later MPC's. As I wrote never have I seen on that finish (though 69's)  and would expect that if shown there would be questions or deductions by the judges

Thought I would ask the same question of you here so as not to have the members here miss any of the discussion ;)
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
I got in contact with a long term friend at Mustangs Etc. He found the number. I bought a new Osborne chassis assembly manual, and found it there as well. Page 25,view W; Which also supports the part number and supplied information as well.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 09:08:01 PM »
..........I bought a new Osborne chassis assembly manual, and found it there as well. Page 25,view W; Which also supports the part number and supplied information as well.

Wouldn't be the first time that the Assembly manuals were different from what they did on the line ;)  Not that it makes allot of different what is the change date from that page?

Looking at a mid 68 production year MPC page I don't see 371992-S32 listed for your application. I see 371992-S2 listed as a 68 application - no parts carriedlisted for the 67 application, other than for cars with cruise control. Interesting that there is no difference listed between big, small or 6 cylinder nor transmission type. They are described only as a clip

Going through 10K of Shelby pictures did find two though it will not help with the original finish. 

First is a very early car in the #400's  and the second is from a car in the #2400's. Attached differently. Might just be one of the many running changes 67 is so "famous" for

Not an easy lace to get a picture of - if the engine is in the car its in the way. If its out they often remove or disconnect the speedo  almost completely
The design/shape (at least the first one) looks different from the 69 version but can't be sure without each in hand to compare.

Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 12:23:36 AM »
Jeff:
I could only go off my memory, however the same question I posted over in the SAAC forum yielded the same clip. A J clip on the center bolt on the accelerator bell crank bracket. The service part is actually zinc finished, but it looks just like picture example above in this thread. It'd be interesting to see what you find from a production part for a '67 San Jose plant vehicle.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 01:10:19 AM »
Jeff:
I could only go off my memory, however the same question I posted over in the SAAC forum yielded the same clip.

Just look again at that thread and the only two pictures posted there are different - Top one was posted from here and was out of my collection - not from 67- either of them
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Jeff:
So what is the consensus? J clip, no clip, or the more complicated offering I saw in the pictures posted in the SAAC forum that was silver cadmium, likely from a 1969/70 four speed vehicle? Is the first picture posted here from a 1967 vehicle? The picture posted here matches the new 1967 Mustang assembly manual too. The Osborne manual I bought about 13 years ago or so didn't even show view W, on page 25. The new one does as well as matching two postings from both forums. The ones you put up this morning are different yet. I believe Bob also said that the J clip was correct. I am now becoming confused as to what should be used/considered proper. I will post the reproduction I obtained and the Ford clip. I'll use what you determine as correct.  I am not trying to impute anyone's knowledge, just make the correct determination so the vehicle is correct, other than a few variations due to day two modifications.