Author Topic: How would you store NOS Motorcraft Positive Battery Cables?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

How would you store NOS Motorcraft Positive Battery Cables?
« on: April 14, 2015, 04:52:53 PM »
Hi after several years searching.  I have found NOS battery cables.  I am not ready for them yet, however I would like to store them properly.  These things are just not out there.

I have read Vaseline on the terminals?  What about the plastic sheaving, 303 Protectant and then put in a zip-lock bag? 

Thanks
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Richard P.

Re: How would you store NOS Motorcraft Positive Battery Cables?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 06:13:27 PM »
I'd store them the same way that you found them. If at all possible ask the previous what he did to preserve them.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »
Hi after several years searching.  I have found NOS battery cables.  I am not ready for them yet, however I would like to store them properly.  These things are just not out there.

I have read Vaseline on the terminals?  What about the plastic sheaving, 303 Protectant and then put in a zip-lock bag? 

Thanks
If they were mine I would put some all purpose T9 boe shield on both ends and put them in a zip lock bag and keep them out of the sun with no wide changes in temperature for longest protection. The lead head will not degrade much even if not protected and if not connected to a battery. I have some 50 year old 65 cables that had little more protection then left out of the sun on a shelf in a unheated shed for decades with little effect.    It may turn a little darker gray if exposed unconnected to the outside air but not much. In the bag coated with the metal preservative in the sealed bag in a protected a temperate temperature out of sunlight one can only guess how much longer they could last compared to a unprotected one . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »
Thank you for the information.

I posted a post about determining the right cable for your 1979 using these cables.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10949.0
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6