Author Topic: 1967 GTA 390 thermactor system  (Read 11798 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
1967 GTA 390 thermactor system
« on: June 26, 2015, 11:06:15 PM »
Hi there,
I have a 1967 GTA S Code Dec. built in San Jose. Here's a picture of it roughly pieced together. Please pick it apart and let me know what I could do to improve it. I have all the cadmium plated high pressure clamps ordered and the wire clamps.

Thanks for looking
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
Re: 1967 GTA 390 thermactor system
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »
Here's another pic
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 11:30:36 PM »
Hi there,
I have a 1967 GTA S Code Dec. built in San Jose. Here's a picture of it roughly pieced together. Please pick it apart and let me know what I could do to improve it. I have all the cadmium plated high pressure clamps ordered and the wire clamps.

Thanks for looking
Need wire clamp on short pcv hose as well as other hoses but you are aware. Fitting going into the intake was painted with the engine. Other fitting not painted. I can't tell for sure but looks like staples are missing on valve cover gasket tabs.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:34:08 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 11:32:51 PM »
Here's another pic
Electric choke is quite noticeable out of place given all the other attention to original detail.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 11:50:10 PM »
Bob here two pics, please let me know if what I said is correct. Ok, you peeked my interest, What's wrong with the electric choke? I included a pick of the part number of the carb.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:54:11 PM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 12:14:10 AM »
Bob here two pics, please let me know if what I said is correct. Ok, you peeked my interest, What's wrong with the electric choke? I included a pick of the part number of the carb.
Fittings are painted and unpainted as you marked. The electric choke(starting in late 70's?)  is a more modern modification of a original carburetor. Original automatic choke should have insulated choke tube and fresh air tube going to carb. The electrical harness to the electric choke would logically be suspect too.

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 12:49:17 AM »
Thank you Bob for all your help.
How's the thermactor hose placement? Having the low pressure hoses over the high pressure hoses is correct?

Off topic, I included 4 pics, the first two are of my carb and the second two are of the same carb i found on the internet. I see where I'm missing the tube above the automatic choke. There's a lot of the same modifications out there. Would you know where I could find the correct automatic choke and is that the only thing wrong with my carb?

Thanks again for all your help,
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline preaction

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:17:47 AM »
Travis, is your valve cover grommet for the PCV valve a reproduction ? There is a picture of the one on my car and the PCV valve in a post below this post and the grommet looks different and the number is different.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 01:29:08 AM »
Yes, it's a repo. I don't believe I'll get marked down on it though. I couldn't find a NOS at the time of purchasing.
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 07:20:38 PM »
Thank you Bob for all your help.
How's the thermactor hose placement? Having the low pressure hoses over the high pressure hoses is correct?

Off topic, I included 4 pics, the first two are of my carb and the second two are of the same carb i found on the internet. I see where I'm missing the tube above the automatic choke. There's a lot of the same modifications out there. Would you know where I could find the correct automatic choke and is that the only thing wrong with my carb?

Thanks again for all your help,
Travis

I cannot be considered an expert on specific carb details for your application, but I did notice something that nobody else commented yet on.

It looks to me as though there might be Teflon tape or a sealant on the fuel transfer tube. I am not understanding that to be concours correct, maybe somebody more qualified can elaborate on this note.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 11:17:01 PM »
Guys already addressed the  vacuum blocks. Lets see about the rest - sorry for the long list. Numbered them just too keep the discussion neat

1- Of course we have the clamps locations to cover

2- The idle compensator block finish (should be dichrome) interesting that you have an automatic carb but no idle compensator. Not sure when the hose was attached and how far up engine color would have been on a thermactor engine but on non Thermactors the paint can be applied up to the PCV block at times

3- Base of the gulp valve would be the goldish green protective coat like found on the PVS/vacuum tee and the steel top dichromate

4- Guess your car was built during the period when the thermactor pump air filter was attached to the shock tower by the hose your using

5- Thermactor Hose tee would be a greenish gold finish rather than the bare metal

6- As    67gtasanjose mentioned no Teflon tape on any connection

7- Interesting carb tag - in green dye?   Thought they were brass on Thermactor cars - will check my notes and Ford documents

8- Doesn't look like the small diameter steel hose is long enough to reach the front of the engine. It normally reaches to the area just in front of the carb on the passenger side then attaches with a rubber hose to that vacuum block at the front of the intake. Might be from a small block application

9- Since you mentioned where you got this - I wonder if its off the 67 Dearborn built Cougar he had. Piece look very much the same though the PCV - to gulp to intake hoses have been reconfigured and one replaced. Seen many with a short straight hose between the idle compensator block (if you had AC)  and the PCV block ( compensator block flipped over 180 degrees). Rather than using the L shape hose you show.

10- Not associated the Thermactor system. Things like hardware finishes on carb pieces. Arms, screws, retainers .... That might be better to save for another thread unrelated to the smog system

Well that's a start. Think I've got 20 reference books covering the 66-69 Thermactor systems - unfortunately allot of the illustrations are generic in fashion.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:20:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »
Jeff's #7 statement about the greenish tag is referring to a carb picture found on the internet, NOT the O.P.'s carburetor tag~ This carb (tag) would conceivably be from a non-thermactor application, therefore mentioning the incorrect tag clarifies that the correct tag would be brass, not greenish.
Otherwise, would that particular image be a good representation of what the OP should be looking to correct on his carburetor?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:31:28 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline preaction

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
I believe that is a marti made or similar brass  tag with a protective plastic film not pealed off yet.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »
Jeff's #7 statement about the greenish tag is referring to a carb picture found on the internet, NOT the O.P.'s carburetor tag~ This carb (tag) would conceivably be from a non-thermactor application, therefore mentioning the incorrect tag clarifies that the correct tag would be brass, not greenish.

Sorry missed that the pictures were of two different carbs and from different sources

Otherwise, would that particular image be a good representation of what the OP should be looking to correct on his carburetor?

Most of the pictures I have of Holley carbs are either original (so the finishes are weak or missing)  or NOS (which will have some variations with the originals being service parts.

travnemi's carb looks like its been "cleaned" or stripped removing most or all of the dirchromate finishes and black oxzide ones. Fuel filter is easier to replace with a new one rather than replating, removing any markings and adding (one of the few times where a clear decal is original ) the correct C7 decal to it.

Not sure if he wants to spend the money to send it out for everything to get recolored - especially since little is seen once the air cleaner is in place. His choose.

I think the fuel filter, the teflon tape and the choke cover is a prefect first step where ever he chooses to go after that.

If I recall correctly the choke cover has a GT visible on the cover once installed - going from memory but it is covered in the TSB that introduced the Holley

CHECKED - I remember incorrectly. The GT cover was a detail associated with the 68 428CJ Holley carb  :(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:22:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 10:02:10 PM »
Thanks everyone, this is such a big help.
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -