Author Topic: How easy is it to install a windshield in a '65 coupe?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline tvor

How easy is it to install a windshield in a '65 coupe?
« on: July 08, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »
Hi all,

My car goes in the shop to get the headliner installed (something I didn't want to tackle), so now I'm thinking about the glass.  I've watched a few videos and it doesn't look all that difficult.  But for some who have done a few, they can make it look easy! 
So, for the first-time (and hopefully last-time) installer, how difficult is it really?  And are there any tips or suggestions for the install?

BTW, what I have learned and my plan of attack, if I go for it, is the following:

*protect paint job!
*Use 3m bedding compound.
*apply under trim clips
*apply to inside channel of gasket and install on glass
*install bead of bedding compound in window frame at corner, all the way around
*wrap heavy cord or 14 ga. wire (so no chance of it breaking) into gasket channel
*apply either assembly lube, silicone spray, or soap to rubber face that will be pulled into window fame
*pull rope and hope it goes in smoothly  :)
*install bead of BC under gasket at body and at windshield on exterior
*water test

Should the dash pad be installed first?

I appreciate any and all input!
'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline jwc66k

Re: How easy is it to install a windshield in a '65 coupe?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
It's a two man job, and you really need a professional to be at least one, preferably both. Experience makes the difference. My 66 hardtop took 4 tubes of sealer and went in and out several times to fix water leaks on a new windshield and weather strip according to the proprietor of a local Mustang shop I used. The rear glass took three tubes using the old glass and new weather strip. 
Jim
PS: Both weather strips were original Ford. Repros may not work (aka leak or tear). 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:26:18 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:07:42 AM »
Definitely a must to have someone helping and knowledge of installing preferred!! My buddy had replaced windows in a few VW bugs before and the concept was the same.. It is a very messy job as the sealer can get everywhere so be prepared. Have plenty of disposable gloves on hand (no pun intended  ;D). I actually used thin nylon rope to pull the gasket over the lip and that worked like a charm. I used reproduction gaskets on the front and rear and found them to be decent quality. It's a good idea to use small pieces of tape to mark where the molding clips are. That way, when you are installing the window trim, there is no question as to where the clips are located under the gasket.
You do not and probably cannot have the dash pad in place as it will get in the way of things and could likely get sealer all over it!! And lastly, be prepared to seal around the window after several water tests.. a leak is likely to pop-up. I have enclosed a pic of my window install prior to the windshield going in and a pic after the install.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
It's been my experience that actually putting the glass in is the easy part.  The physical installation is pretty straightforward.  Actually getting it in where it won't leak...so far, for me, that's been borderline impossible.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:21:05 PM »
It's been my experience that actually putting the glass in is the easy part.  The physical installation is pretty straightforward.  Actually getting it in where it won't leak...so far, for me, that's been borderline impossible.

Gave the installers a 12 pack. They deserved it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:00:54 PM »
Gave the installers a 12 pack. They deserved it.

After the job ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tvor

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 11:51:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  You guys paint a more realistic picture than the videos by CJ Pony and Resto-mod.  I think I'm still gonna give it a go, but now I have some other things to consider while I'm doing it, to hopefully make it water-tight.

I'll let you know how it goes  :)
289 CID with C4 trans.
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 12:48:12 AM »
One trick to roping in the windshield is always pull your rope towards the center of the glass.  Don't pull outward or up.

Putting it in is actually not very difficult, it's the sealing as everyone mentioned that can be difficult.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DKutz

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 12:50:43 AM »
Virginia mustang just did this write up on there blog.  Great pictures and advice,...  Good luck.  Wish I had done mine myself, cause it wasn't done right...

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2013/02/65-68-mustang-windshield.html
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »
Virginia mustang just did this write up on there blog.  Great pictures and advice,...  Good luck.  Wish I had done mine myself, cause it wasn't done right...

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2013/02/65-68-mustang-windshield.html

One thing I noticed about that Virginia Classic Mustang write-up the first time I saw it was that they're working on a convertible.  Notice how they have a lot more working room inside than you would have on a coupe or fastback.  Also, take a look about halfway down where they actually go back and apply Bedding & Glazing Compound from inside the car, up around where the headliner would be on a coupe.  If you tried to get sealer into that area from the inside on a coupe or fastback, I could see it turning into a mess pretty fast.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:40:37 AM by drummingrocks »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »
Honestly, many of these cars leaked "As Delivered"...wouldn't THAT actually be considered concours also?  ;D

Usually, these restored cars see very little rain, if any at all. I think there is such a thing as going TOO FAR with attempting to stopp all potential issues with such things as a minor leak. Now, if stored outside, NO...you wouldn't want any leaks. If you wash your classic daily, weekly or monthly with abundant amounts of water, probably a virtually "no leak" car would be desired. For me, I am going to have a white vinyl roof and white headliner...I'm not messing those up with excessive amounts of this goop! YES, I want NO LEAKS! But I may wish to consider how much of a battle it is REALLY worth to get "all messey" and figure out just how to get all that crap back off after all the leaks are "fixed".
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline tvor

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
One thing I noticed about that Virginia Classic Mustang write-up the first time I saw it was that they're working on a convertible.  Notice how they have a lot more working room inside than you would have on a coupe or fastback.  Also, take a look about halfway down where they actually go back and apply Bedding & Glazing Compound from inside the car, up around where the headliner would be on a coupe.  If you tried to get sealer into that area from the inside on a coupe or fastback, I could see it turning into a mess pretty fast.

What would adding bedding compound do from the inside?  Or is that just because it's a convertible?  And I agree, it'll be a mess and I'll have that black stuff all over and risk getting it on my white headliner
289 CID with C4 trans.
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »
Usually, these restored cars see very little rain, if any at all. I think there is such a thing as going TOO FAR with attempting to stopp all potential issues with such things as a minor leak. Now, if stored outside, NO...you wouldn't want any leaks. If you wash your classic daily, weekly or monthly with abundant amounts of water, probably a virtually "no leak" car would be desired. For me, I am going to have a white vinyl roof and white headliner...I'm not messing those up with excessive amounts of this goop! YES, I want NO LEAKS! But I may wish to consider how much of a battle it is REALLY worth to get "all messey" and figure out just how to get all that crap back off after all the leaks are "fixed".

It's funny you said that.  We weren't staying at the host hotel for the 50th Anniversary celebration in Charlotte, but there were still plenty of classic Mustangs in the parking lot of the hotel we stayed at.  When all of that rain came through towards the end of the week, people were going nuts trying to keep their cars dry.  I saw some beautiful restorations with cowl covers, people taping up the seams around the windshields, etc.  I thought that was pretty wild.  I'd rather have a ratty work-in-progress car that doesn't leak, as opposed to a beautiful one that leaks when it rains.

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »
I had the windshield of my 64 1/2 replaced a couple decades ago, at a well-known windshield shop, and they never did get the leaking to stop, and it wasn't a little, it was quite a bit.
I just had the headliner and interior redone last year, and from what I was told, the windshield came out to replace the headliner.  I told him about the prior experience with it, but apparently this guy is really good at what he does, especially with Mustangs.  I haven't had it out in a lot of rain yet, but the first show in May was a steady drizzle that turned into a good hard rain for an hour or so.  And no leaks.  At least not that I was able to find. *crossing fingers*

Offline Toploader

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
I'd rather have a ratty work-in-progress car that doesn't leak, as opposed to a beautiful one that leaks when it rains.

+1
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible