Author Topic: Phosphating, Today's Activity -  (Read 2055 times)

Offline jwc66k

Phosphating, Today's Activity -
« on: July 18, 2015, 07:52:28 PM »
This is what I did this afternoon - phosphated. All the items were bead blasted with glass beads on Wednesday and Friday. Today, Saturday, I cooked.
Pic a. The pile of stuff to do.
Pic b. Two brackets in the acid bath. I kept the temperature above 200F. These and some other items were cooked for about 90 seconds.
Pic c. After a rinse in fresh water, air drying works best in drought stricken California where it's 80F and there's a 12 knot breeze.
Pic d. More air dry. The humidity is about 48pct. The breeze comes across San Francisco Bay keeping the area relatively cool.
Pic e. After air drying, oil is sprayed on all the items. It's a secret blend (WD-40).
Pic f. More oil sprayed parts.
Pic g. If I turn around from the cooking pan, this is the view of Levi's Stadium I get. Go 9ers.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Phosphating, Today's Activity -
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 08:14:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 11:09:21 PM »
Yes, thanks for sharing.  To the point, easy to understand, step by step, with pictures.   Just what a guy like me needs.  Are you using a manganese phosphate solution ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:36:52 AM »
I've been using E-Phos 630 Manganese Phosphate for several years, I'm almost out. I've also used a rust remover called "Rust-Mort" before I got the E-Phos. It left tiny crystals on bolts if cooked too long. My next solution I'm going to try is from Duracoat Products. I got it from Amazon a couple of years back.
One more item: when I'm done, I pour the acid bath into a five gallon plastic bucket and add a pound of baking soda to neutralize it. Some people pour out the phosphoric acid bath on their lawn or other plants as a fertilizer. I haven't got to that level yet. When you see numbers on fertilizer, 6-4-2, the 4 is the percentage phosphorus in the package (6 is nitrogen, 2 is potash). I don't know what the leftover acid bath will do.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:38:44 AM »
I did not realize you were so close and in the area!

Good motivation.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS