Author Topic: Assembly line engine coils  (Read 2014 times)

Offline preaction

Assembly line engine coils
« on: August 30, 2015, 06:16:07 PM »
Did coils that came on cars have a date code on them ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Assembly line engine coils
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:35:01 PM »
Did coils that came on cars have a date code on them ?
Yes they did .You can do a search and find where people were preparing a ink stamp to restore their own coil with appropriate date code.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline D0ZZ70MACH

• 1970 Mach 1 Dearborn 11/10/1969
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 09:56:15 PM »
If you don't want to mess with having a stamps made to suite your application, try Dave Walters at the following website.

http://www.427galaxieregistry.com/Fordyellowtopcoil.html

I sent him a an original coil which he stripped, painted and ink stamped (including date cote) correct for my car for $65.  I believe he can apply
any date that you like.  Nice guy and only took a week to a week and a half.  Good luck!!

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 06:56:54 PM »
Hi,

Besides external restoration, do someone knows if these yellow coils could be repaired? I still have the original yellow coil, and I would like to know who can repair them in case of operation failure....

Regards,
sanluis09
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:06:07 PM »
Hi,

Besides external restoration, do someone knows if these yellow coils could be repaired? I still have the original yellow coil, and I would like to know who can repair them in case of operation failure....

Don't believe anyone is rebuilding them - the liquid inside may be the same used in other electric items of the period and possibly PCBs

The coils themselves are pretty easy to come up with so rebuilding the internals might not make sense business wise
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:14:46 PM »
Don't believe anyone is rebuilding them - the liquid inside may be the same used in other electric items of the period and possibly PCBs

The coils themselves are pretty easy to come up with so rebuilding the internals might not make sense business wise
+1 . Rather then be concerned about possible rebuilding (not practical) find yourself a nice used coil or two ,verify that it/they are in working order and put on the shelf so you don't have to give it another thought.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby