Author Topic: frustrating phospate and oil bolt and hardware  (Read 11118 times)

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
Re: frustrating phospate and oil bolt and hardware
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 12:39:14 AM »
Ok.. now y'all have me worried about all the p/o parts I did do. If u look close then yes I see some spotting. I was really excited about how they turned out until now. So how do I fix this on these hinges and other parts. Do I go dunk them in oil and hope for the best. Or try to media blast them again and start all over. Maybe I didnt leave them in the bath long enough.  Can I rebath an all ready donepart? WWhat's ya lls solution here. Leave them like they are? Re dunk them? Re blast them?  Or just soak em in oil for a couple days.??? Help
1969 Mustang Sportsroof GT 351w, NJ built, Black Jade w/ Gold GT stripe, black standard interior..

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 12:49:30 AM »
Ok then what is my next move. Ive just discovered thay my definition of looks good is not at par. Should I dunk this parts back in oil fro 24 hrs. Or try to give the already treated parts another longer bath in the morning, or do I need to just re blast and start over. Help me here this is getting so frustrating.
1969 Mustang Sportsroof GT 351w, NJ built, Black Jade w/ Gold GT stripe, black standard interior..

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 01:06:19 AM »
Putting them in oil now will not change anything.  If you have put oil on them, then it's actually going to be very difficult to get good results from a re-do. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
Ok. this morning I wiped everything down and it all looked great to me other than the one hood hinge that did have some spots.  They are not to bad but I will always notice them now.  I think they where from just simply not getting it clean enough during the blasting.  Im debating on weather or not try to blast it again and re phosphate the one side.  My fears are that they will not turn out the same color.  I think I'll give up on the bolts and drop the big bucks for the amk kits. I'm pretty sure I ruined them by getting them too cleaned and polished.  one step forward , 5 steps back

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 04:12:17 PM »
I "soaked" all my hardware in carb cleaner first. Then washed them off with the soapy and rinse water from the clothes washer. After drying for a couple of days, a weeks worth of tumbling in a rock tumbler with the metal filings from a brake shop. A quick dip in kerosene which rinses most of the brake metal dust and gives the hardware a protective coat to prevent rust and you are ready - almost. Let the hardware "dry" for a week or two. Now it's bead blasting time. For ease in handling in the blasting cabinet, use metal shower curtain clip rings for nuts, washers and other small items with a hole, to mount for bead blasting. I use metal plumbers tape to mount 1/4 and 5/16 inch screws and bolts, larger I do by hand. TP Tools and Equipment http://www.tptools.com/ has special containers for small screws, or if there are just a few to do, use a medium size alligator clip. All the techniques I use minimize handling by doing them in bulk.
That the method I use to prepare hardware for phosphating. I do the same for zinc plating I send out. It ain't cheap, but the results are worth the expense.
I'm pretty sure I ruined them by getting them too cleaned and polished.   
What "polishing" do you do? 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 04:26:07 PM »
bolts and nuts.  someone on here suggested that I over cleaned my bolts and nuts. and probably so.

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »
I would think a little bead or fine sand blasting would take care of a polished surface.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 05:34:50 PM »
.................... I think I'll give up on the bolts and drop the big bucks for the amk kits. I'm pretty sure I ruined them by getting them too cleaned and polished.  one step forward , 5 steps back

Of course then you'll have to live with (very possible) non-original head marking design and possibly other details :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 06:34:02 PM »
Ive got the ones I did last night soaking in degrease. Maybe ill try to blast them and send them all to someone somewhere who knows more about finishing them than I do.  I was thnking that amk had the correct heads now?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 07:10:55 PM »
Ive got the ones I did last night soaking in degrease. Maybe ill try to blast them and send them all to someone somewhere who knows more about finishing them than I do.  I was thnking that amk had the correct heads now?
Think again. A lot depends on the bolt. Some are correct and some are not. Some were correct in the past are are not now because the supply has been depleted of the correct ones. I can't think of a instance of a past incorrect bolt being upgraded to a more correct marking .It seems to be working in the opposite. I hope I am wrong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
Since you brought up water quality with the Palmetto chemicals I'd suggest eliminating one variable and use distilled water. Chemical and mineral content in tap water can certainly impact the process.

I think it's been covered by several already, but I'd suggest not giving up on your original hardware. Since it sounds like you have the ability to blast them, throw them in the blaster and try again. What do you risk?  ;)
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 09:44:03 PM »
Think again. A lot depends on the bolt. Some are correct and some are not. Some were correct in the past are are not now because the supply has been depleted of the correct ones. I can't think of a instance of a past incorrect bolt being upgraded to a more correct marking .It seems to be working in the opposite. I hope I am wrong.

Fastener markings are not something that are going to be "reproduced", in my opinion. Many of the markings are registered trademarks, and even those that aren't may be registered with one or more standards organizations. A company applying someone else's mark (even one from a company long out of business) to a fastener runs the risk of serious legal repercussions. Besides infringement, there are also federal and international laws relating to fastener identification. It would seem that the only way to obtain a fastener with an original mark would be for the original company to manufacture it. There may be provision for a company to use old marks by acquisition of the original company, but that gets into speculation on my part.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 01:52:37 AM »
Fastener markings are not something that are going to be "reproduced", in my opinion. Many of the markings are registered trademarks, and even those that aren't may be registered with one or more standards organizations. A company applying someone else's mark (even one from a company long out of business) to a fastener runs the risk of serious legal repercussions. Besides infringement, there are also federal and international laws relating to fastener identification. It would seem that the only way to obtain a fastener with an original mark would be for the original company to manufacture it. There may be provision for a company to use old marks by acquisition of the original company, but that gets into speculation on my part.
FYI AMK always bought from the original MFG. The problem is it may take 100,000 for a minimum order (as a example ) from the original  MFG and it becomes impractical to make back the investment so Max has told me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 01:57:01 AM »
Even if someone got permission to us a trademark it would most likely still be a huge minimum order for a dedicated run . The wrong marking bolts allow smaller quantities to be purchased from already existing runs of bolts.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »
Since you brought up water quality with the Palmetto chemicals I'd suggest eliminating one variable and use distilled water. .............

Have always used distilled water in my solution. Just one less variable
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)