Author Topic: Shock tower cap hardware - 69 NJ  (Read 7385 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Shock tower cap hardware - 69 NJ
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
Thanks for posting.  Nuts appear goldish in color ?  Got any pics of the two top bolts ? The ones holding the shocks to the cap.   Mostly interested in any logo or letter and serrated washer if any ?  Thanks,  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 10:46:37 PM »
I'm not sure on them.  I believe they are like the above pic J sent.  Ill be out of town this weekend but Ill go thru all the zip lock bags but even if I did find the right bag, I would not be confident enough to say they are the original because I know I've replaced the shocks a couple of times before I understood the important of conservation of parts. looking thru some old pictures on my car< I really can't tell.  Sorry I miss understood your question.
1969 Mustang Sportsroof GT 351w, NJ built, Black Jade w/ Gold GT stripe, black standard interior..

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 10:49:10 PM »
oh,, and those are not gold but p/o. just still wet from the oil and camera flash makes them look that way. 
1969 Mustang Sportsroof GT 351w, NJ built, Black Jade w/ Gold GT stripe, black standard interior..

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »
Not great clarity but maybe these might help a little

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »
Thank you Jeff.  Looks like My carriage bolts and nuts are good enough.  About the logo/stamps for the shock tower bolts;  It seems the anchor was used at Dearborn and San Jose.  No information for Metuchen.  Jeff's ' Big T Style ' remains a possibility.   Brian
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:31:08 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »
Got some shock tower top bolts from forum member jwc66k today.  Re-finished OE bolts with the anchor logo.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 12:07:31 AM »
Again, you are welcome, but how did you get that wonderful blue finish? The ones I sent were clear zinc. The US Postal System must have a secret method to color bolts.  :-[
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 06:14:18 PM »
The postal system or my photographic talents really can't say.  Am I off base calling this color silver or is clear the correct terminology.  Where does Zinc come into the picture ?  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »
Zinc plating has several different colors. Clear is the shiny one, also called silver, and it comes in medium and bright, also called sharp. Then there is gold zinc, which is also called zinc chromate, and it has shades too. (I use the terminology "gold" instead of "chromate" to lower the confusion factor - keep it simple - and it's easier to spell.) Black zinc, olive drab zinc, blue zinc are some of the other industry standard colors. What get deposited on the items being plated is zinc. Colors are "optional". I use the words from the aerospace industry which, by no coincidence, is where the majority of my plater's business originates.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 10:09:22 PM »
Thank you.  One more; Zinc Phosphate is the same as phosphate/oil ?  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 12:16:44 AM »
One more; Zinc Phosphate is the same as phosphate/oil ?
No. Zinc phosphate uses an electroplating process, phosphate (and oil) is a "cooking" process, a very hot water bath (180F up) with 1 to 2 percent phosphoric acid added (I got to read the instructions on the bottle). The oil is after drying. Magnesium phosphate is the most common. Parkerizing and conversion coating are specialized forms, Parkerizing being used on Military items. I can't remember much about conversion coating. The phosphate process is one of the oldest methods to protect iron and steel.
Jim

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 12:45:19 AM »
OK that answers that.  Perhaps I got some wrong information.  I have a photo example, I do better with pictures, shock tower cap is Phosphate and Oil, nuts are Phosphate and Oil.  The cap bolts are Silver Zinc.  Concours correct for a NJ car ?  Thanks,  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
Additional detail:

Conversion coatings involve a change or interaction between the substrate and coating material, as opposed to plating and other processes in which a material is applied over the substrate.

Phosphating - conversion coating that relies on a reaction of phosphoric acid to integrate the coating material into the surface of the substrate. Electrical current can be used to accelerate the process, but this is not typically done. Numerous materials can be applied in this manner - zinc, magnesium, iron. Iron phosphating is also known as Parkerizing. See the attached file for a thorough technical description.

Phosphate & oil - phosphating followed by an oil sealer. Magnesium is typical, but this can be done with zinc as well.

Zinc plating - zinc that has been applied through an electrochemical process.

Zinc chromate - a compound, not a coating. Is typically applied as a pigment in primer or paint.

Dichromate - conversion process used as a sealer over a metallic plating, typically zinc or cadmium. Also referred to as "yellow zinc" or "yellow cad", depending on which plating it is applied over. Yellow is common, but clear dichromating can be performed as well. Note that it can also be used over zinc phosphate, galvanizing and directly on zinc alloys such as pot metal (carburetors). Its primary purpose on zinc is to prevent "white rust". The dichromate is applied in an acid bath with dichromate salts. Older dichromate solutions used hexavalent chromium, which is toxic and highly controlled nowadays. Trivalent chromium is now used instead. See US Patent 2,035,380 for the origins of this process.

Galvanizing - zinc is applied by spray or by dipping in a bath of molten zinc.

Black oxide - a conversion coating in which iron on the part surface is converted to a black, oxidized layer. Corrosion protection is mild, be can be enhanced with an oil follow-up. Not the same nor as protective as phosphate & oil.

QPQ nitrocarburizing - a conversion coating that leaves a nice, deep, even black surface with improved corrosion resistance and lubricity. Essentially it's a black oxide, but with a different process. Not used on automotive parts to my knowledge (not vintage ones anyway), but one item in my "bag of tricks" for certain tooling.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 13Outlaw

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »
I know I'm not much help on this and way late, but those look just like my Dearbon built 69. Of course two shock bolts broke on me when taking the out...
1969 Mach 1 R-Code 4-Speed (Dearborn built Jan 69)
1992 GT 5.0 5-Speed
2003 Cobra
2013 Shelby GT500

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
I know I'm not much help on this and way late, but those look just like my Dearbon built 69. Of course two shock bolts broke on me when taking the out...
In regards to the nuts ,yours are very much different then the ones from a reported Metuchen car pictured earlier. The ones in the previous pictures when compared show yours (FYI yours are typical Dearborn) have taller sides and a flat top . The earlier pictured ones are shorter and have a contour to the top. Something not shown well is the finish . The style of shorter ,contoured top nut is typically zinc silver. The typical taller flat top style Dearborn nut is Zinc phosphate.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby