Author Topic: 1965 Hipo Alternator Correct Fan and Pulley Colors  (Read 7525 times)

Offline blueoval67

1965 Hipo Alternator Correct Fan and Pulley Colors
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »
I have an original 65 Hipo alternator from a November 1965 built 427 Galaxie. Yes its not a Mustang but they should share this same component and detail. Its original large diameter pulley is black and the fan is Ford blue just like the engine paint. Has anyone else seen this on other early alternators?
Dave Walters
www.427GalaxieRegistry.com
DW Restorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1965 Hipo Alternator Correct Fan and Pulley Colors
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 10:08:31 PM »
I have an original 65 Hipo alternator from a November 1965 built 427 Galaxie. Yes its not a Mustang but they should share this same component and detail. Its original large diameter pulley is black and the fan is Ford blue just like the engine paint. Has anyone else seen this on other early alternators?
Yes. Very out of the ordinary.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 10:31:39 PM »
We've found both Hipo and non Hipo alternator fans (pulleys also on non-Hipo) blue over the years. No pattern has been identified so far just one here and there. Not sure if they were marked this way as a test of some sort or for what ever other purpose these were made this way.  A couple of us on the site have cars these came on.

If you'll try the search feature you should find at least 6 prior threads that discuss the subject.

Very very out of the ordinary as Bob posted

What plant was the Galaxie built at if I may ask for my records?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline blueoval67

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »
Thanks for your responses and sorry, I did a quick search but didn't find any threads that's why I posted this. The car is from the Wayne assembly plant. Recently I went to the Simeone Auto Museum in Philadelphia Pennsylvania for a preservation seminar on their Shelby Cobra "Daytona" Coupe. This car has never been restored and had what was called a "preservation" by a well known restorer. This car also has the black pulley and blue fan detail on its alternator. Fred Simeone said during the presentation that this was indicative of the early hipo alternators according to the restorer and I was looking for confirmation of this. The later hipo alternator I have which I believe to be an original has the cad plated pulley and fan.

I have disassembled the alternator of detailing and will post some pictures up later today...
Dave Walters
DW Restorations

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:04:42 PM »
Keep in mind that the blue fan was not a hi-po only detail.  Have seen it on v8 and i6 models during that late '65 time period.  The non hi-po cars have a blue pulley also.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sgl66

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »
Scoll down the page for more info from Dead Nuts On but nothing conclusive about blue fans

http://www.deadnutson.com/catalog/item/7070330/7161139.htm
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Jeff Speegle

Offline blueoval67

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:27 PM »
Here's a picture of the blue fan and looks like semi gloss pulley. The paint is gone on the front side so its just a shot of the original paint on the back....
Dave Walters
DW Restorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
Here's a picture of the blue fan and looks like semi gloss pulley. The paint is gone on the front side so its just a shot of the original paint on the back....
Curious if paint or plating on the pully. Seen both.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 10:55:41 PM »

Yep looks typical of those odd ball fans :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline blueoval67

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »
It almost looks like a plating but the front is rusty enough to make me think its paint.
Dave Walters
DW Restorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 05:32:45 PM »
It almost looks like a plating but the front is rusty enough to make me think its paint.
The black and blue fans were paint. The later gold were plated.

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 08:01:33 PM »
The alternator on my late 65 had traces of black paint on the fan.  This is a picture after restoration by Dead Nuts On:

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 08:09:15 PM »
Are you sure about the pulley?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
This is the only good shot I have of the pulley prior to restoration. If you look carefully, you can see the remains of the black paint in the groove.

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop