Author Topic: Trunk Mat Underlayment  (Read 6766 times)

Offline tobkob

Trunk Mat Underlayment
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
I am getting ready to reproduce the underlayment for my April 7th Shelby (Dearborn). I studied the article in the Library several times but when I looked at my original pad I found it had the tar and oiled kraft paper only on 1 side and the recycled fibers on the other side instead of the oiled paper. Has anyone seen this? I was searching this site and found this thread but it is probably a '68. http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8864.0
Here are some pictures of my original (pieces),new material, and original trunk mat.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline tobkob

Re: Trunk Mat Underlayment
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:44:08 PM »
More pictures

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:04:22 PM »
I know this is not what you want to hear but it is more typical for a 69 Dearborn produced Shelby to have the tar,paper and thin plastic . Not the recycled fiber material. Not to say it is impossible but do say it is not typical.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline tobkob

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:37:24 PM »
Bob, I am just looking for some opinions as to whether I need to reproduce like Jeff's article or if others had been found like mine. If it was changed it would have been between late May and early December '69.

TOB
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:48:13 PM by tobkob »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 12:06:18 AM »
Bob, I am just looking for some opinions as to whether I need to reproduce like Jeff's article or if others had been found like mine. If it was changed it would have been between late May and early December '69.

TOB
My opinion is to do it like Jeff's article.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 02:28:25 AM »
I am getting ready to reproduce the underlayment for my April 7th Shelby (Dearborn). I studied the article in the Library several times but when I looked at my original pad I found it had the tar and oiled kraft paper only on 1 side and the recycled fibers on the other side instead of the oiled paper. Has anyone seen this? I was searching this site and found this thread but it is probably a '68. http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8864.0
Here are some pictures of my original (pieces),new material, and original trunk mat.

Think I mentioned it in the article or the related thread but have found some examples where they used a very thin (like plastic wrap) on one side. Might have skipped a step on that batch since the majority I've seen (interior and trunk) has been the craft paper like material as the final layer on both sides. Other than a odd period in 66 on some San Jose cars ;)

Sometimes you can find some pieces  that look like yours where someone (likely a PO)  split the underlayment down the center (pull it up and getting only half due to weight or being stuck to the car) and leaving or taking something like shown in your pictures
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tobkob

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »
Jeff, not trying to argue but I am the 1st owner after Hertz (only in service 6 months) and I took the mat and pad out myself and stored them for 35 or so years. I have the original gas tank and it is clean on top as was the trunk floor. I was mainly trying to decide which route to take, either paper on both sides or paper and plastic like the snakeoyl product. Also the thickness appears the same as the new material. Just thinking out loud ;)
Might have skipped a step on that batch since the majority I've seen (interior and trunk) has been the craft paper like material as the final layer on both sides.
That is why I asked if others had seen this. Just trying my best to restore as close to original as I can. Did the pads with the plastic have it on both sides? Photos?

TOB
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:05:33 AM by tobkob »

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
jack at deadnutson is making correct underlayment

Offline tobkob

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 04:34:06 PM »
Now you tell me after I bought all the materials to make my own according to Jeff's article. ;D I just looked at Jack's site last week and I didn't see anything or I probably have order some.

TOB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »
Now you tell me after I bought all the materials to make my own according to Jeff's article. ;D I just looked at Jack's site last week and I didn't see anything or I probably have order some.

TOB
FYI I heard Jack is gone for a few weeks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 10:18:42 PM »
............. That is why I asked if others had seen this. Just trying my best to restore as close to original as I can. Did the pads with the plastic have it on both sides? Photos?

Looked through the collect and found a handful of "one side plastic" examples. In all but one the plastic was located on the bottom (not seen) on the install.

End flipped over to see

Paper top

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 10:22:37 PM »
Looked through the collect and found a handful of "one side plastic" examples. In all but one the plastic was located on the bottom (not seen) on the install.

End flipped over to see

Paper top

I think that is the way Jack makes them ,paper on the top and plastic on the bottom.

Offline tobkob

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 10:50:06 PM »
FYI I heard Jack is gone for a few weeks
I don't have time to order in time for St Augustine show anyway so I think I will go with paper on top and plastic on bottom for now...easy enough to change later if I decide to. I have several pieces of underlayment with just plastic, tar and paper,but don't remember where it came from. Any ideas? The carpet underlayment was good enough to reuse so I don't think it came from there. Also how far toward the sides did it go? All the way to quarter panel or just to the drop off, and if all the way it would require another cardboard filler panel and I only remember the one on the driver's side...(again I have senior moments quite frequently these days). I really appreciate all the time and effort you guys put into answering my questions.

TOB
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:05:21 PM by tobkob »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 01:51:38 AM »
I don't have time to order in time for St Augustine show anyway so I think I will go with paper on top and plastic on bottom for now...easy enough to change later if I decide to. I have several pieces of underlayment with just plastic, tar and paper,but don't remember where it came from. Any ideas?

Depends on the shape but under the front seats might be a guess if the shape is right

........Also how far toward the sides did it go? All the way to quarter panel or just to the drop off, and if all the way it would require another cardboard filler panel and I only remember the one on the driver's side...(again I have senior moments quite frequently these days). I really appreciate all the time and effort you guys put into answering my questions.

69 convertibles and fastbacks (since your really asking about your Shelby I believe) are different from one another and from Mustang. For a Shelby sportroof  you look at the pictures above the drivers side can stretch to the quarter panel surface. While the on the passenger side I have many that reach at least to the drop off edge but no extra cardboard is required even if it went further. Often this part of the underlayment is the side that is missing allot of pieces due the removing and installing of the spare as well as not being protected by the mat that covers the rest of the underlayment in the trunk
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 10:33:03 AM »
cougars have fillerboards on both sides since spare is mounted in center of trunk (except for convertible) & cougars have the full long trunk underlayment like mach 1s & Shelby fastbacks & at Dearborn having cougars & mustang built together at same time on the same line some got mixed up as I recently seen a 69 Shelby convertible with the long trunk underlayment but all my converts have the small square type.  Has anybody ever  compared the long cougar underlayment to the mach1 Shelby fastback long trunk underlayment to see if they are the same pattern.