Author Topic: Trunk Mat Underlayment  (Read 6764 times)

Offline tobkob

Re: Trunk Mat Underlayment
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 10:37:59 AM »
Depends on the shape but under the front seats might be a guess if the shape is right
Maybe, I may have replaced under the seats with new.
69 convertibles and fastbacks (since your really asking about your Shelby I believe) are different from one another and from Mustang. For a Shelby sportsroof  you look at the pictures above the drivers side can stretch to the quarter panel surface. While the on the passenger side I have many that reach at least to the drop off edge but no extra cardboard is required even if it went further. Often this part of the underlayment is the side that is missing allot of pieces due the removing and installing of the spare as well as not being protected by the mat that covers the rest of the underlayment in the trunk
Yes, my Shelby. I thought it might go all the way but unsure from the pictures. (One looks like it might drop off the edge).
Thanks

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »
Maybe, I may have replaced under the seats with new. Yes, my Shelby. I thought it might go all the way but unsure from the pictures. (One looks like it might drop off the edge).

Challenge is that edge (if a long enough section remains) often is heavy enough to rip along that edge and drop to the bottom of the trunk drop area
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 11:51:19 PM »
Here is a original 9F02R as represented, hope this helps.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 12:00:31 AM »
FYI not original jack.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 12:28:43 AM »

Not sure if its the Shelby thing or not but that second picture (if that is cut that way) is unlike anything I've ever seen on a Dearborn 69 with the wide underlayment. WOnder if it could have been removed and flipped at one point? Or just originally installed backwards
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 10:13:41 AM »
Jeff looks like underlayment may have been taken out of trunk when someone sprayed some sort of (brownish) undercoating in trunk area then installed  upside down or just flipped wrong from factory since plastic black side is usually on the bottom.  Jack handle missing also.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 03:03:10 PM »
Here is the car.  http://www.rayskillmanclassiccars.com/Used-1969-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Greenwoood-IN/vd/8009337

I thought there was something fishy about it.  A Dearborn or Metuchen without rust issues is rare. The corroded fasteners under the hood appear to be Cadmium plated, which I thought was used exclusively in San Jose.

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »
Jack handle missing also.

It's there, it's just that the whole jack is wrong.
It's the speed handle style.
This car has been for sale a long time.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline tobkob

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »
Another question for Jeff, How long before the oil dries enough to put the mat back in without oil soaking into the mat? I know you would rub it as dry as you can but it should air dry also. I thought I might temporarily put a sheet of plastic under the mat since I will be leaving for Florida in a few days and it may not be dry. Any input is appreciated..
TOB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 02:50:38 PM »
Another question for Jeff, How long before the oil dries enough to put the mat back in without oil soaking into the mat? I know you would rub it as dry as you can but it should air dry also. I thought I might temporarily put a sheet of plastic under the mat since I will be leaving for Florida in a few days and it may not be dry. Any input is appreciated..
TOB

Believe that as you mention local weather conditions would play into that part of the plan. We only rubbed in to the paper what the paper would hold. Then set it out in a parking lot to bake in the 100 degree sun for a day, wiping up any oil that we could with paper towels. If your going to use the plastic one side (no bottom side paper to hold and absorb any oil that traveled down (plus what you would have wiped on) I would put something below the mat before a plastic sheet to grab any extra that made it there since it will likely just cause a mess on the line light plastic side/layer below
Jeff Speegle

Offline tobkob

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 10:22:34 PM »
Thanks Jeff

Offline specialed

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 10:29:53 PM »
I guess I should have said jack handle-lug wrench missing  as you still need a lug wrench & their is none with that jack that I see  ;D

Offline cobra427

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
I though the 69s got the space saver spare tire?

Gary
Currently working on a 68 GT500 #00563  Build date 13 Feb 68 NJ car.

Gary Ross

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 07:31:11 PM »
I though the 69s got the space saver spare tire?

Gary
69 Shelby's and Boss cars did.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline DeadNutsOn

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 10:23:57 PM »
Hey forum members, this is Jack from Dead Nuts On.  I would like to chime in regarding the 1969-70 trunk underlayment.  We've been working on a reproduction for a few years now and finally have it available for all models (available on our website soon).  Is it alright to post information about our production challenges, availability and prices etc in this section?  :)