Author Topic: Help with definitive Shaker ID  (Read 5917 times)

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: Help with definitive Shaker ID
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 07:23:17 PM »
So the new Scott Drake bowl with the original 351 2V/4V midplate doesn't provide enough adjustment to get the scoop in the right position?
You should check your hood with a template just to be sure it's cut where Ford would have done it too.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline troyword

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »
I just tried it with my original mid plate. It doesn't have the dual 2V/4V mounting holes. I'm 90% sure I have the original hood, but of course anything is possible. It seems to be an issue with the aftermarket Edelbrock intake manifold. The carb position is different.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »
I just tried it with my original mid plate. It doesn't have the dual 2V/4V mounting holes. I'm 90% sure I have the original hood, but of course anything is possible. It seems to be an issue with the aftermarket Edelbrock intake manifold. The carb position is different.

Aftermarket intakes often cause issues in these cases. Reason allot of shakers got cut up or scoops simply attached to some homemade air cleaner in the past   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 12:26:16 AM »
I just tried it with my original mid plate. It doesn't have the dual 2V/4V mounting holes.

Ok then you don't have a 351 midplate.
Hard to say if it would provide the adjustment you need anyway though.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 01:23:23 AM »
The Edelbrock RPM Performer intake moves the carb pad 3/4" closer to the firewall.  Are you running the stock C9AF-? Holley or something else ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline troyword

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 04:46:08 PM »
It is a Holly 4160 750 CFM.

Offline troyword

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 05:48:57 PM »
So I have done further investigative work. The intake is an Edelbrock 2105 and the heads are performer RPM 6006 versions. I would like to replace the intake for one with correct carb spacing. It looks like I have three choices, put the original C8OE-9425-C back on(which would need a refurb), find a vintage C7AE-9425-F Police interceptor, or find a Blue Thunder Aftermarket Version(which seems to be out of stock everywhere). Any options I have missed or suggestions from those of you with much more knowledge than me? Are there any issues with any of these intakes with the Edelbrock heads? Thanks again for all the help thus far from everyone! Troy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 06:17:02 PM by troyword »

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 06:33:59 PM »
The cast iron intake will rob those aluminum heads of their potential.
The PI aluminum intake would be better but how much is it going to lift your shaker bowl?
You may find the hood mashing down on the gasket.
You should be able to get the AT Francis blue thunder for $400 used, so it's cheaper than the Ford PI.
Be sure to port match your intake to the heads.
Have a look at Edelbrock's installation instructions, they detail what intakes do and do not fit re port sizes.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/install/6000/6007.pdf
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:45:46 PM by 7Lscjracer »

Offline troyword

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 06:45:42 PM »
Thanks 7Lscjracer! Yes I think I will try the Blue Thunder route. They just seem hard to find, not sure if they are temporarily out of production. Troy

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 08:51:51 PM »
Did you try their new website?
http://www.bluethunderauto.net/
Give them a call, and there's also their dealer list to wade thru too.

Offline troyword

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »
Thanks for the link to their new website! I reached out to them and several dealers on the list. None of the dealers had one in stock or seemed to know anything about when they might get any more. Zero response from Blue Thunder Auto. So I guess I will hope something will come up on Ebay. In the mean time I have mounted the correct snorkel from Semo on the 1970 base. It seems to fit reasonably well with the heat riser and s-tube. My only other option is putting the original IM back on, but I am worried about power loss and opening up a can of worms with fitment issues.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »
I found the Blue Thunder organization totally out of touch with the world I live in.  Nobody knows where or when the parts are made, when they will be available, or how much they cost.  Totally screwed up outfit.  My opinion.  I got my BT intake off ebay and the seller was 20 miles from my house.  Got lucky.   Using a BT or your OE intake will entail the same fit issues. My opinion.  The BT performance in slightly better the your OE intake so power loss is not a problem.  Jay Brown wrote the book on intakes and is my source for that statement.  A couple of other sites may be more helpful with your current dilemma;  FE Forum, 69stang.com  or, my favorite,  The CJ Registry.  These sites have OE cars with the types of engine mods you are asking about. 
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline troyword

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 03:18:21 PM »
So I got this email today:

Hello. I expect to be shipping Intakes by the middle of January. It has been awhile on the production cycle, but they are out of casting and inspection and will be machining in the next few days.

Pricing will be MR 4V without Heat Riser @ $565.00, and MR with Heat Riser @ $625.00. CJ port 4V without Heat Riser @ $595.00 and CJ port with Heat Riser @ $650.00

MR and CJ Intakes are exactly the same except for port dimension. MR will work on both Short and Tall ports, while CJ will work only on CJ/LR port height correctly. Both Intakes will work with a Shaker or Ram Air.

48 state shipping via FedEx Ground is set at $38.00 per Manifold.

There WILL be more demand for Intakes than are currently being produced. If you want an Intake, there will be a $25.00 deposit required before an Intake is reserved for you. You can use Paypal to pay this. Just use my email address as Payee, or, you can call me at 951-763-9765 and give a card over the phone. Checks or Money Orders, please mail to: DSC Motorsport, PO Box 390493, Anza, CA  92539.

You can also pay for the entire order if you like, but in either case, you WILL receive the Intake of your choice, if you respond in a timely manner to this email(before my order is all presold to others).

Thanks for your patience while these were produced.

Dennis

Looks like they are about to have some new stock.  I am going to grab one of these so I can finally get the correct Shaker set up on my car. I assume for my engine I should get the CJ port with Heat Riser. Is that correct? Thanks! Troy

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 09:10:22 PM »
Sorry if this is not the best place, but I did quite a bit of searching for help in shaker hood parts identification and this is as close as I can find.

I'm looking for help identifying the air cleaner base in the attached picture.

If you look at the upper left hand corner picture, a top view of the base, there is quite a flange all the way around.  From looking at Mustang equivalents, this looks to be something other than a Mustang.

I'll keep looking, but if you know or can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.  John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2020, 11:43:48 PM »
Sorry if this is not the best place, but I did quite a bit of searching for help in shaker hood parts identification and this is as close as I can find.

I'm looking for help identifying the air cleaner base in the attached picture.

If you look at the upper left hand corner picture, a top view of the base, there is quite a flange all the way around.  From looking at Mustang equivalents, this looks to be something other than a Mustang.

A possible place to start

http://fordramair.com/new/products/ram_air_units.htm
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)