Author Topic: Who wants to start on this 65 K Convertible  (Read 7200 times)

Offline rodster

Re: Who wants to start on this 65 K Convertible
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »
and what are those horns off of ?

Yea,'  :o  One of the first things I noticed and one thing I would want correct before trying to sell an 'excellent example'
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »
I wouldn't be making guesses about the VIN of the car until it was inspected.  As mentioned earlier, these cars are scrutinized much more than the non-K cars.  If there's some serious fraud going on here, I would hope that would be exposed and the car identified as a fake.  I'm not sure if the hi-po registry is still being kept up to date, but that is usually a good place to document things like this.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rodster

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »
Wouldn't pre-restoration pictures go a long way in this situation? 

I have an A code Coupe, factory air, early pony interior, disc brakes, etc that someday I hope to restore and will have taken tons of pictures of it prior to restoration just to help prove what it is.  Not that it will ever be as desirable as a K car but with the color combo and options would like to be able to substantiate what the car was originally.

Hard to believe in this world of digital photography  anyone doing a restoration on a true original car wouldn't document it.

Perhaps the seller has documentation, something I would require -before- buying.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rodster

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »
Wow, scary.

Even more reason to have documented proof other than what is listed in sales ads and registries.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Why am I bring all this up?
It is easy to add a K-code VIN to the HPM registry with little support. From my experience the registrar does not take a position on authenticity of entires either way, even when highly questionable. I E-mailed the registrar numerous times on the above example and never received a reply.

Yes, great points, thanks.  The hi-po registry, like any registry, is good and bad. 

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 09:12:15 PM »
Faskback99: where did you get the VIN with the T from?  All I see is a digital picture that can be fabricated fairly easily; I'm not criticizing you...just curious where that picture comes from and what documentation is behind it.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CW4macret

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »
Wow you got to love the way people can misrepresent stuff on Ebay. I called my 71 Mach1 numbers matching because the VIN of the car was stamped in the block and transmission which did not start until the very late 60s yet I see that claimed more and more on 65/66/67 for sale. And I for one always though of the D code as the forerunner to the K code.
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline hopeto

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »
And I for one always though of the D code as the forerunner to the K code.
IMO the D code was the forerunner of the A Code. There was no forerunner of the K Code. Just my 2 cents.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »
IMO the D code was the forerunner of the A Code. There was no forerunner of the K Code. Just my 2 cents.

+1, the D code was actually low compression as compared to an A code.  K code was completely different, made for high revving and performance.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »
And I for one always though of the D code as the forerunner to the K code.
The 289CID "D" code and "K" code engines were developed about the same time, maybe with the thought by Ford of "can we do better?"
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline JYP

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »
I wouldn't be making guesses about the VIN of the car until it was inspected.  As mentioned earlier, these cars are scrutinized much more than the non-K cars.  If there's some serious fraud going on here, I would hope that would be exposed and the car identified as a fake.  I'm not sure if the hi-po registry is still being kept up to date, but that is usually a good place to document things like this.
Hi,
I am a newbie on this forum that I have discovered a couple of days ago.
This car is now in my garage. That's why I was reading this post very carefully ...
The engine has been checked  and it is an Hi-Po one ;-)
Thus I am still interested to make it 'legit' and am looking for any advices ;-)
Thanks and regards
Jean-Yves
Jean-Yves

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »
Jean-Yves,
Welcome to the forum. Some pictures of you "K" car will help, along with a partial VIN (use xx for the last two numbers). In the meantime, remove the rear seat back and check the two additional sections of sheet metal (called doublers) where the muffler brackets are located as well as the two brackets. Another check is the rear hanger for the exhaust. Depending on the date, you should have brackets at the rear of the car near the rear mount of the springs that look like the ones in the picture.
Again, welcome,
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline JYP

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 04:59:17 PM »
Thanks Jim fro your welcome and advices.
I am going to upload some pics shortly.
Jean-Yves
Jean-Yves

Offline Morsel

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »
Thanks Jim fro your welcome and advices.
I am going to upload some pics shortly.
Jean-Yves

Hey Jean, I just finished restoring my 66 San Jose automatic K-Code Fastback - If you want to look at some K-Code specific questions and answers, look at my posts here as well as the same user name on the HPM eKschange website, great HiPo specific information there http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/viewforum.php?f=5

It'll help to use both sites for your info...

Good luck,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior