Author Topic: I need a new windshield, PS auto glass or ECS?  (Read 7616 times)

Offline Morsel

I need a new windshield, PS auto glass or ECS?
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »
Wondering who people are liking better, my windshield in my car was replaced at some point and I need a new windshield with the correct carlite etched logo. I know both PS Auto Glass and ECS do these and will do the proper date coding, but wondering if anyone has tried both and who they like better. I've heard nothing but good things from PS Auto... but also know ECS is doing good glass as well.

Last I'm wondering what you think would be the proper additional info around the Carlite logo for a clear non-tinted windshield for a February 10th 1966 San Jose car. I have all my other original glass in the car so getting date coding won't be a problem, but I know the windshield always had differences from all the other glass, also seen a few variations on the info around the logo.

Anyway, appreciate any info in advance and thanks you as always,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: I need a new windshield, PS auto glass or ECS?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:43:56 AM »
Do not waste your time and hard earned $$ with PS Auto Glass.  They had an ownership change about a year ago and are producing incorrect size logos.  PM me if you'd like to know more details.

ECS costs a bit more, but at least you're guaranteed to get an etching done right.

For a Feb build date car, either December '65 or Jan '66 would be fine.  Windshields are made of laminated safety glass, the logo is slightly different than tempered side glass.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »
Do not waste your time and hard earned $$ with PS Auto Glass.  They had an ownership change about a year ago and are producing incorrect size logos.  PM me if you'd like to know more details.

ECS costs a bit more, but at least you're guaranteed to get an etching done right.

For a Feb build date car, either December '65 or Jan '66 would be fine.  Windshields are made of laminated safety glass, the logo is slightly different than tempered side glass.

Thank you so much Charles, this is exactly what I wanted to know, I was already thinking about ECS anyway because they are just so legitimate as far as a company and do great work on other things. I also would assume they know which logo should be used cause I do know the windshield glass Carlite logo is different, I'm also looking at all my other glass that's original for a rough date range so it matches in the same rough range...

The only thing I was wondering about and was the "FM-XXX" code for the clear windshield, I noticed from examples I've seen they sometimes are different numbers after the "FM" letters. I think ChrisV was trying to get me a photo of his dads car which is built very close to mine... but he has to wit until the weekend or next week, so if anyone happens to know what this logo looks like are this time I'd love to see one and get this windshield ordered since it's going to take six weeks to make ;)

Thanks again...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »
The ECS folks will know the correct logos, but always good to validate with known examples, especially originals to your car or other cars built close to yours at the same plant. 

Additionally, there is some variance on the orientation of the logos, so best to also go by original examples.  If no samples can be found, ECS will be able to give you their best guess based on others they have done.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 03:53:34 PM »
The ECS folks will know the correct logos, but always good to validate with known examples, especially originals to your car or other cars built close to yours at the same plant. 

Additionally, there is some variance on the orientation of the logos, so best to also go by original examples.  If no samples can be found, ECS will be able to give you their best guess based on others they have done.

When you say orientation what do you mean, if you mean whether it was etched in the inside and reading from the inside, I’m pretty darn sure mine was, but waiting for Chris to snap a shot for me, his Shelby went down the line right after my K-Code according to our vins.

Jason

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
Yes, etching inside or outside and also the placement of the etching.

Wouldn't get too caught up comparing Shelby to Shelby as it's a Ford assembly plant thing.  Any San Jose VIN's close to yours, could be a 6 cyl fastback, would be a good reference.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 08:44:06 PM »
Yes, etching inside or outside and also the placement of the etching.

Wouldn't get too caught up comparing Shelby to Shelby as it's a Ford assembly plant thing.  Any San Jose VIN's close to yours, could be a 6 cyl fastback, would be a good reference.

Yep, that's true for sure, he's just the only person I know with a car close to my vin# from here and Chris offered to do it which was nice...

Thanks Charles...

Jason

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »
My dad's Shelby and Jason's car are about 10,000 units apart from one another. Don't have the door tag obviously but hopefully it should be close as far as the orientation of the logo
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »
Looking for direction on etching for my Dec 66 SJ car.

According to the post below, the etching should be (1) on the inside, and (2) facing (readable from) the inside

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1512.msg7666#msg7666

1. Can anyone confirm that this is accurate for my car?

2. Can anyone add to the "big picture" perspective as to location, such as bottom center, bottom driver's side, etc?

I have the windshield on order from ECS, and they are asking for this information. 

Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »
Looking for direction on etching for my Dec 66 SJ car.

Will be centered at the bottom of the windshield the question or detail to confirm is (believe so) if its legible from the front (outside the car) or inside.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »
I heard Auto City glass was very good
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 06:04:28 PM »
OK high jacking thread to a certain degree

If you have no glass in the car how do you find date codes ??

I need to order the glass as have side window ( pieces I have laying around) but what the best way to find all the correct codes?
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »
OK high jacking thread to a certain degree

If you have no glass in the car how do you find date codes ??

I need to order the glass as have side window ( pieces I have laying around) but what the best way to find all the correct codes?

Start a thread in the appropriate section of the web site, with plant and build date, and see if you can get some reported original dates from cars built around your cars build period or at least the same plant and you can then figure out what might be a safe guess
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 12:53:00 AM »
During my research I ran across this older post.  I am a bit surprised to read that people are date stamping parts that are not era-specific parts.  What do concours guys think about re-date stamping parts? 
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 01:42:44 AM »
During my research I ran across this older post.  I am a bit surprised to read that people are date stamping parts that are not era-specific parts.  What do concours guys think about re-date stamping parts?

If the part they are dating or modifying differs in other ways from an original they are wasting their time IMHO since the visual other clues will tell the tale.

As far as altering a none original part (to the car) to better fit the car it create a very long and deep  discussion that will produce pages of responses. This remind me of the "what does numbers matching mean" what does "restoration" mean...... and so on. This is likely not the best place for that discussion. I invite you to start a new discussion if you wish in the General area of the site or even another thread in this the Parts section :)
Jeff Speegle